Channel's Change of Name

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
stevech

Channel's Change of Name

Post by stevech »

Is there a better way I can deal with this kind of thing...

Suddenly, Animal Planet disappeared from my listings.
I am a SageTV user so I went to Sage's guide and Animal Planet is fine in their listings. I think they come from the same source. The devil is in the details: Sage's listing says APLP for that channel whereas my Schedules Direct has for years called it ANIMALP. I edited my .conf file and now it works again.
Can't this be automated? Sage didn't burden me with keeping track of the name change.

(My own software downloads to XML, then generates two html files formatted to big fonts,in a vertical scrollable format, for interactive guide viewing on the TV screen).

Steve

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Channel's Change of Name

Post by rmeden »

According to the Tribune docs, the way to identify a station is by the station-id, not the "callsign" field (I think that's the field that changed... cable stations really don't have callsigns>). You chose to use "callsign" in your config file, so if a station should change it you'll have a problem (same thing if the channel # moves and you key off that.).

I realize callsign makes for a much more readable config file. Maybe you can detect a config file callsign no longer exists (or a new station shows up), and report the situation. It won't make it go away, but at least it would be detected faster.

Robert

stevech

Post by stevech »

Robert - thanks for the response. But I'm a dummy here: I ran the schedules direct script on my PC where you give it your service provider name and zip or some such, and the script connects to the servers and returns a list of channel names/numbers. You edit that to select yes/no on each channel.

At least that's what I've done for years. And so ANIMALP is what the servers told me the name for channel 64 is. And Sage used to display ANIMALP. But a few days ago Sage's display changed as I discussed. So I don't get the concept of how I'm supposed to know call signs other that what I get after running that script that generates the .conf file.

I would think that this change on Animal Planet would have national scope, not just my provider.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

hmmm maybe it's changed again. When I look at a "lineup report" from the SD account page, I see.

Code: Select all

184 	16331 	APL 	Animal Planet
184 	57394 	APLHD 	Animal Planet HD
When I look at the downloaded data, I see

Code: Select all

<station id='16331'>
<callSign>APL</callSign>
<name>Animal Planet</name>
<affiliate>Satellite</affiliate>
</station>
<station id='57394'>
<callSign>APLHD</callSign>
<name>Animal Planet HD</name>
<affiliate>Satellite</affiliate>
</station>
The SD web app (and probably sagetv) uses the "id" value internally and the callsign and name only for display. That's why those apps work. Your "own software" must use the callsign in it's config file, so it didn't pick up the change.

Like your program, XMLTV's tv_grab_na_dd uses callsign in the config file (for readability, but mostly historical reasons). However it detects lineup changes and alerts the user to run configure again. It also has a "--auto-config add" to automatically add up new/changed stations.

Robert

stevech

Post by stevech »

My software simply runs the schedules direct tv_grab_na_dd to get listings data into XML files.
My software executes that and uses the XML file results.
There is no human involvement.

How would my arrangement know that the "call sign" has changed? Do I have to have my software parse something produced by tv_grab_na_dd that indicates that there's been a lineup change/name change? Or is there some way that tv_grab_na_dd will automatically revise the .conf file?

---
As I write, Animal Planet Pacific is still APLP (P suffix for Pacific feed) is still APLP. Perhaps the eastern US feed is APL.
In either case, until 2 days ago it had long been named ANIMAL and ANIMALP.
Maybe this came about with HD, since ANIMALPHD might be too lengthy.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

if you want it to run it automatically add "--auto-config add" to your tv_grab_na_dd.conf file. That way any new stations get added automatically. It's also not a bad idea to run _na_dd in "--quiet" mode and generate a message if it outputs anything (that would be an error or warning)

In your app, you're probably keying off the channel-id already (unless you use tv_grab_na_dd's --old-chan-id switch)

Robert

stevech

Post by stevech »

rmeden wrote:if you want it to run it automatically add "--auto-config add" to your tv_grab_na_dd.conf file. That way any new stations get added automatically. It's also not a bad idea to run _na_dd in "--quiet" mode and generate a message if it outputs anything (that would be an error or warning)

In your app, you're probably keying off the channel-id already (unless you use tv_grab_na_dd's --old-chan-id switch)

Robert
OK, I'll try the --auto-config add. But what will it do for the circumstance in discussion: same channel number, new "callsign" ?
--------------
My application takes the XML file and creates two HTML files, formatted for vertical scrolling, large font, boldface show titles, and so on. One HTML file is sorted by time, the other is by channel number, so you can scroll through "what's on Discovery tonight". The viewing app I wrote culls the prior hours' out of the files once an hour so the top of the scroll is "now".

These HTML files are our primary Electronic Listings; the one in SageTV is rarely used as it is the horizontal format where just 6 words per show appear unless you stop and open that show to see the specifics. Examples...
grab1.jpg
grab2.jpg

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

stevech wrote: OK, I'll try the --auto-config add. But what will it do for the circumstance in discussion: same channel number, new "callsign" ?
I think it will simply add a new line in the config file and ignore the old one. (it won't match the TMS download). I bet your app will work fine.

stevech

Post by stevech »

Thanks a ba-zillion