MythTV Howto?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
ckillian

MythTV Howto?

Post by ckillian »

I know SD does not provide support for MythTV, but since there are plenty of us around, I was wondering if anyone had a link to a quick howto to describe how to make the switch from labs.zap2it to schedulesdirect (let's assume that I've already signed up with SD and have added my lineup)? TIA.

Heem

Re: MythTV Howto?

Post by Heem »

I was able to get the listings in XMLTV format by modifying the tv_grab_na_dd file - simply changing the URLs worked. then you have to use the --file option from mythfilldatabase.

I'm sure someone else has a prettier idea, and apparantly the MythTV folks will have a "real" solution for us - of course that is likely to require us to upgrade to the next version...

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

in addition to changing the URL you need to change the dd_prog_id code for the new length of the show-id.

I'll be making a new XMLTV release with a new _na_dd later today.

Robert

mazda01

Post by mazda01 »

ah, what? I use MythTV in Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. All there is now is just a screen where I pick zap2it as the source and then chose the lineup I believe. I entered my username and password and that's it. What are you saying I should do to get this new service to work? I already have my account, my lineup was added despite having to click on my zip code about 8 times before it finally worked (i kept getting invalid zip code). If anyone can explain this to someone who doesn't know anything about those 2 previous things that need to be changed I would appreciate it. I would like to be able to test out my 7 day free trial before it ends so I know if I want to spend the $5/month or not. I mean I will no matter what as long as it works.

Thank you for any support you can provide.

GreyFoxx

Post by GreyFoxx »

For those of you using -fixes or trunk and compiling your own, there is a patch which will do everything for you including update the programid's.

You can get it here http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3842 and from all reports it works just fine. If you are using a precompiled binary/package then you are going to have some pain. You are going to have to either abandon the internal code and using an external app suck as XMLTV (recent SVN version is best with the tv_grab_na_sd for now) or just switch to a source install and use the patch.

GreyFoxx

Post by GreyFoxx »

GreyFoxx wrote:suck as XMLTV (recent
Err that should be SUCH as XMLTV :) Simple typo I swear

Heem

Post by Heem »

mazda01:

You'd be best to wait for official updates from MythTV if you don't feel comfortable messing around with the internal workings of the software.

gmdubois

Post by gmdubois »

If SchedulesDirect used the same directory structure as labs.zap2it.com, we could fix this on the host (defining labs.zap2it.com as sd's address), instead of having to changing all the mythTV software loads.

I'm running 0.19 (with satellite and OTA) and had no plans to upgrade. I have a friend with a similar setup (but with cable) in a similar situation.

gmdubois

h_a_h_3

Post by h_a_h_3 »

rmeden wrote:in addition to changing the URL you need to change the dd_prog_id code for the new length of the show-id.

I'll be making a new XMLTV release with a new _na_dd later today.

Robert
Simply changing the URL would mostly work except for this issue ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (3rd post on the page)

I don't know if you would get failed inserts or just bogus "previously recorded" behavior - as in, hey that looks like a different programid so we better record this program again.

I can guess that the only *supported* method will be to update using SVN or packages (when those become available).

schproodle

Post by schproodle »

How does one know if a MythTV package has hard coded the URL for the Zap2It Labs servers, e.g., Version: 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6?