Gray Areas

slackadocious

Gray Areas

Post by slackadocious »

I perused the legal document and admittedly I am no lawyer so a lot of the wording therein makes little or no sense to me.

I have a few simple questions that hopefully can be answered here.

Lets say I have 2-3 standalone mythboxes in my home (no dedicated back-end server) and wish to receive listing data on each of them under 1 account, is this permissible under the license agreement?

Now lets say me and 2 of my friends each have our own mythbox (and do not live under the same roof) can we all 3 pitch in $5 and pay for the $15/3 month subscription that each of us can then use for the 3 month period?

Is the license strictly limited to one user/device per subscription?

Thanks

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Gray Areas

Post by rmeden »

slackadocious wrote:Lets say I have 2-3 standalone mythboxes in my home (no dedicated back-end server) and wish to receive listing data on each of them under 1 account, is this permissible under the license agreement?
Yes. There is no restriction within your household.
Now lets say me and 2 of my friends each have our own mythbox (and do not live under the same roof) can we all 3 pitch in $5 and pay for the $15/3 month subscription that each of us can then use for the 3 month period?
No. The preliminary wording was "household", now it says <legalese> "You will not, without Company’s prior written consent, permit any third party to access Licensed Data via Your User Account" </legalese>

Now, you could argue that all three of you formed a partnership that was the "user" that signed up, but then no one gets it due to commercial use.

Robert

Dachannien

Post by Dachannien »

I can't find in the service agreement the permission for other members of the household to access the data (the answer to the first question above). That would seem to imply that if you created an account, the rest of your family would be unable to use your PVR (aside from the person for whom you created the second permitted user account).

sbtvlist

Post by sbtvlist »

rmeden wrote:
slackadocious wrote:Lets say I have 2-3 standalone mythboxes in my home (no dedicated back-end server) and wish to receive listing data on each of them under 1 account, is this permissible under the license agreement?
Yes. There is no restriction within your household.
No. The preliminary wording was "household", now it says <legalese> "You will not, without Company’s prior written consent, permit any third party to access Licensed Data via Your User Account" </legalese>

Now, you could argue that all three of you formed a partnership that was the "user" that signed up, but then no one gets it due to commercial use.

Robert
Robert,

So, using the same logic, three people pay for three subscriptions. One of the people have a local web server serving up a dedicated app htat allows the users to select programming based on their own preferences. That is, the system shows each when their program is on proactively.

Even though each have paid for the subscription they cannot access the same server remotely because this would constitute a commercial use. If the app is submitted as an approved app then the other two users could run the app locally and bring down their programming as a data feed to this app.

Is this analysis close to being correct?

Steve

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I (personally) wouldn't consider putting data on a web page where 3 people have access would be considered a "public" webserver. (Persons #2,#3 would not need to be SD members if they only access the web application)

3 is a small number. 10 is a different story, 20 is very different.

Some of the minute may be on a case-by-case basis. We'll certainly be reasonable. I expect Tribune will be reasonable as well.

Note... as a SD Board member, I probably shouldn't be publishing my personal thoughts on this. *if* it would become a problem the lawyers and courts would need to interpret the document, my "feelings" would only confuse and possible cause problems.

Robert