Pocket TV Browser

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
brownster

Re: Pocket TV Browser

Post by brownster »

jonc3b wrote:I copied all the new XMlTV files (xmltv-0.5.48-win32)to my C:\Program Files\Pocket TV Browser folder
Using a text editor (like notepad) I opened the file C:\Program Files\Pocket TV Browser\Provider.ini
and changed my login name to be the new Schedules Direct login in name
LoginName=yyyyy@zzzz
PocketTV Browser works just fine (for me) now without any of the hassles of above.
Let me know if this works for you.
Go Red Sox
Curious, what is the listingurl= setting in yoiur PTVManager.ini file?

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

Join us at DoubleBit Forums.

Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Guitar4HIm wrote:NOTE: The startTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2007-08-25T00:00:00Z.
NOTE: The endTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2007-09-08T23:59:59Z.

What's causing this and how do I correct it?
I could be wrong but I think it has to do with the difference in your time zone and the time zone of the downloads. My listings using xmltv take me to 5pm so, I think, they are 7 hours ahead of me. I changed the --days 14 to --days 13 and get the same amount of listings as with the 14 days and no error.

Either way, like brownster said, it probably doesn't hurt anything?

Sherry

Bobb

Post by Bobb »

Jim,
Thanks again for all your work. (I say again as I also thanked you on the PTVB boards.

To all, I set my Window$ task manager to run my batch short cut at the same time I used to run PTVB and it worked.
Now I am going to stop loading PTVB when I start up, create a shortcut so I can load it only when I want to see my listing only on my desktop.. I will report about this later when I see if this setup works. That way I don't have to worry about PTVB running if I forget to that the date for it to run automatically when the schedule in the program is it were to be loaded regularly.

Bobb

brownster

Post by brownster »

jonc3b wrote:I copied all the new XMlTV files (xmltv-0.5.48-win32)to my C:\Program Files\Pocket TV Browser folder
Using a text editor (like notepad) I opened the file C:\Program Files\Pocket TV Browser\Provider.ini
and changed my login name to be the new Schedules Direct login in name
LoginName=yyyyy@zzzz
PocketTV Browser works just fine (for me) now without any of the hassles of above.
Let me know if this works for you.
Go Red Sox
While I playing around with XMLTV and PTVB I found that the provider.ini file is changed by PTVB based on the XMLTV's tv_grab_na_dd.conf file found in the /.xmltv/ folder when you run PTVB. I deleted the channels and numbers settings and ran PTVB and upon checking the provider.ini file the settings were added back by PTVB based on XMLTV settings.

When I tried the basic settings changes in the settings.ini, provider.ini and ptvmanger.ini files PTVB did not work. I have to use the workarounds.

My exprience only. It would be helpful if others are playing around with PTVB would post their findings. It would be great to find the least invasive and most effective way to use SD with PTVB. I kinda like the scheduled batch file as it will run my TVTweak and PTVmanager behind the scenes together with my needing to manually do it.

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

lindau

Post by lindau »

It works now!

AFAIK, these are the changes I made:

PROVIDER.INI

LoginName=EMAIL ADDRESS
Password=PASSWORD

PTVMANAGER.INI

[zap2it-dd]
description=XMLTV Zap2it Listings (US, Canada)
regurl=http://labs.zap2it.com
providervars=LoginName,Password,provider_id
providerurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data lineups.xml --list-lineups
channelurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data lineups.xml --reprocess --list-channels
listingurl=provider.xml
listingformat=xmltv
categories=zap2it-categories
granularity=5

TV_GRAB_NA_DD.CONF

username: EMAIL
password: PASSWORD

Now it works with either PTVBrowser (which now shows my email address in the Login Information) and with the batch file.

brownster

Post by brownster »

FYI, PTVB will process the XML file that is in the PTVB Folder/directory. It will check to see if there is an XML file with today's date. If there is then it will use it to process. If not it will try and download via XMLTV. From my experience, PTVB cannot use the updated XMLTV for SD to download. This is why you have to manually work around PTVB.

For those saying that it is working from within PTVB without a workaround, delete the XML file in the PTVB folder/directory and then try to download from within PTVB. My guess is it is working becuase you already have a XML file downloaded that PTVB is reading and processing. You can also go to the performance tab and clear the caches. That should delete the XML file created by XMLTV.

Curious,
Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

Guitar4HIm

Post by Guitar4HIm »

I've used Pocket TV Browser for 4 years, doing things the old way. Now, I have the batch file setup which can be linked to the Windows program scheduler to run on a weekly basis without me even having to think about it. To me, this is far superior to the old way of having to load PTVB and then instruct it to run an update. It's also one less thing lurking in memory, using up precious system resources.

Even if a new version of PTVB comes out that will access the program info in the old way, I won't go back. That batch file just works too good. I wish I'd known how to do this years ago.

Thanks to all who contributed their technical expertise to get this going.
Last edited by Guitar4HIm on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

brownster

Post by brownster »

Ken,

I am with you. I like running a scheduled batch file. I have been using TVTweak for some time with PTVB downloading from Zap2It. It was more work than now with the batch file. And I hadn't even thought about the resources PTVManager uses being loaded in memory. It says it is 9,680 K of memory :)

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

Guitar4HIm

Post by Guitar4HIm »

This is kinda off-topic, but I was just curious....I've always used TV Grid Listings in conjunction with PTVB. This is a program which displays the schedule information in a grid format, pretty much like what you see if you go onto zap2it or TV Guide's websites. This program is no longer available, which is a shame, because it really makes the PTVB data more accessible. Originally, the only drawback in using TVGL was that it didn't display the original air date for a program. However, with TVTweak, that's not an issue anymore. Overall, it's a dandy little program and originally only cost $10 to register. The current version of PTVB supports using TVGL.

OK...here's my question...how many are currently using TVGL with their PTVB? I've contacted the original software publisher to see if they would consider re-releasing the program. It's a really good way to present the TV schedule information. For many, it was one of those things where, once you used it, you would never want to be without it.
Ken

jonc3b

Post by jonc3b »

lindau wrote:It works now!

AFAIK, these are the changes I made:

PROVIDER.INI

LoginName=EMAIL ADDRESS
Password=PASSWORD

PTVMANAGER.INI

[zap2it-dd]
description=XMLTV Zap2it Listings (US, Canada)
regurl=http://labs.zap2it.com
providervars=LoginName,Password,provider_id
providerurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data lineups.xml --list-lineups
channelurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data lineups.xml --reprocess --list-channels
listingurl=provider.xml
listingformat=xmltv
categories=zap2it-categories
granularity=5

TV_GRAB_NA_DD.CONF

username: EMAIL
password: PASSWORD

Now it works with either PTVBrowser (which now shows my email address in the Login Information) and with the batch file.
I didn't have to change the "listing url=" line in the PTVMANAGER.INI file.
I left it at: listingurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data schedule.xml --days $days --output $provider.xml

It works if the other 2 files have the new username: EMAIL and password: PASSWORD

I do admit the advantages of automation have me considering using a batch file though.