MythTV Howto?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
xris
SD Board Member

Re: MythTV Howto?

Post by xris »

schproodle wrote:How does one know if a MythTV package has hard coded the URL for the Zap2It Labs servers, e.g., Version: 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6?
It just got checked in this afternoon, so I doubt something from July 1 would have the necessary updates. I also can't guarantee that these changes will let MythTV continue to work with Labs (for the next week and a half that Labs will be around), so it may be a few days before packagers start releasing packages with these updates applied. Don't forget that on Sept. 1 when Labs turns off, you'll still have 2 weeks worth of programming data available.

cmbetts

Post by cmbetts »

I just did the update and it lets you choose either zap2it or schedules direct as your data source, so I'd assume it's safe to take the plunge

mazda01

Post by mazda01 »

I hate to be the beraer of bad news but the newest version of xmltv doesn't seem to work. I could just be an idiot though so I would appreciate any feedback about why I can't get this to work. I read the README and it says to run the following first after extracting the .tar.bz file I got from sourceforge that was just uploaded yesterday. I will post there next but wanted to post here as I am sure this will be read by someone:

root@UBUNTU:perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local/bin/
Argument "6.30_01" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at Makefile.PL line 29.
Can't locate Term/ReadKey.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at lib/Ask/Term.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at lib/Ask/Term.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 232.

I would definitely like to try out my 7 day trial before I pay the $5/month and I created the account yesterday and I don't at this time want to upgrade to the latest svn. I am fairly new to linux and installing the ubuntu package 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6 was fairly easy. if I have to compile from source I will but merely wanted to check out that this works first before doing that. Thank you for anyones help.

UPDATE: I figured out that I needed to install readkey perl module. BUT now I am getting this error, does this matter:
Argument "6.30_01" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at Makefile.PL line 29.

THen it asks me if the default config is ok, other countries grabbers, so I say no and chose no for everything but the North America grabber, but now I get these errors:
Module Date::Manip seems not to be installed.
Date::Manip 5.42 is required.
Module SOAP::Lite seems not to be installed.
SOAP::Lite 0.67 is required.
Module WWW::Mechanize seems not to be installed.
WWW::Mechanize 1.02 is required.
XML::Twig-3.28 is required, but 3.26 is installed
Module XML::Writer seems not to be installed.
XML::Writer 0.6 is required.
Module Compress::Zlib seems not to be installed.
Compress::Zlib is recommended.
Module Lingua::EN::Numbers::Ordinate seems not to be installed.
Lingua::EN::Numbers::Ordinate is recommended.
Module Lingua::Preferred seems not to be installed.
Lingua::Preferred 0.2.4 is recommended.
Module Term::ProgressBar seems not to be installed.
Term::ProgressBar 2.03 is recommended.
Required modules missing, 'make' is unlikely to work
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite Date::Manip 5.42 not found.
Warning: prerequisite SOAP::Lite 0.67 not found.
Warning: prerequisite WWW::Mechanize 1.02 not found.
Warning: prerequisite XML::Twig 3.28 not found. We have 3.26.
Warning: prerequisite XML::Writer 0.6 not found.
Writing Makefile for XMLTV

So I am guessing that I need to install all these perl modules. I found Date:Manip but this is hard I have to admit. I found an older version of soap-lite-.60, but I need .67. They aren't in my ubuntu package manager so I have to find them all somehow. Also, after I find them all, will teh README's tell me where to put them all? If I need to run configure with a prefix? Also, after I finally get all those modules isntalled, can I simply just rerun the original command being: perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local/bin/

Thank you so much if anyone can help.

GreyFoxx

Post by GreyFoxx »

schproodle wrote:How does one know if a MythTV package has hard coded the URL for the Zap2It Labs servers, e.g., Version: 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6?

Yes, the URL is hardcoded in libs/libmythtv/datadirect.cpp

schproodle

Post by schproodle »

GreyFoxx wrote:

Interesting...but I don't seem to have that file. :)

StuartM

Post by StuartM »

schproodle wrote:
GreyFoxx wrote:
Interesting...but I don't seem to have that file. :)
You'll need the source code of course.

mazda01

Post by mazda01 »

could some1 possibly maybe try to answer my question? I don't know how to use xmltv to retrieve listings from schedules direct to test out mythtfilldatabase --file (or whatever I am suppose to do) I merely want to test this out before upgrading my Ubuntu Feisty box to the latest mythtv package (svn?) Currently I have installed xmltv and all of it's depending modules for perl, now what do I do to retrieve the listings to a file? then after that, what command exactly do I run (mythfilldatabase ?????) to update my listings within mythtv to show whatever xmltv retrieved? As I said before I merely want to ensure that this is working. Not to mention I signed up yesterday and was given a free 7 day trial but now I find out I can't even use that trial due to the pre-packaged mythtv in Ubuntu. That should maybe be mentioned in my opinion. Thank you for anyone trying to help.

Denver-Ed

Post by Denver-Ed »

I'm in the same boat as several others. I have 3 MythTV systems running .19. MBE/FE, SBE/FE combos and 1 FE. AS I understand it all networked MythTV systems must be at the same version. If I upgrade the MBE to use SD data, I suppose I need to upgrade everthing else? Is it just mythfilldatabase that must be recompiled, and or mythtvbackend as well? Will there be a patch or binary for .19 and .18 versions also?

Thanks to all the folks at Schedules Direct for their hard work and investment.

ED

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

XMLTV does require lots of Perl packages. You should check your distro to see if it can install XMLTV and all it's dependencies.

If the distro doesn't have the new 0.5.48 release yet, you should then be able to run Makefile.PL and install tv_grab_na_dd using our release (all the dependencies were already met)

To use tv_grab_na_dd....

tv_grab_na_dd --configure # answer the questions
tv_grab_na_dd --output=xmltv.xml # that will download 7 days worth of data to xmltv.xml.

Read the man page for more options.

Robert

mazda01

Post by mazda01 »

rmeden wrote:XMLTV does require lots of Perl packages. You should check your distro to see if it can install XMLTV and all it's dependencies.

If the distro doesn't have the new 0.5.48 release yet, you should then be able to run Makefile.PL and install tv_grab_na_dd using our release (all the dependencies were already met)

To use tv_grab_na_dd....

tv_grab_na_dd --configure # answer the questions
tv_grab_na_dd --output=xmltv.xml # that will download 7 days worth of data to xmltv.xml.

Read the man page for more options.

Robert
ok, so now I have a file with all the listings, now within mythtv-setup, do I remove the zap2it source?? then I run mythfilldatabase using this syntax:
mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 /usr/local/bin/tw_cable.xml
I have already tried that BUT instead of using the --output with the tv_grab_na_dd command I used the -o originally because this website told me to (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/My ... f_tv_guide) and it turned out that that doesn't work anymore and it told me the valid command to run with it so I chose to try out the --dd-data FILE and that didn't fill in my listings or anythign. my upcomings recordings were also blank, so needless to say, I went back to using zap2it.

If anyone can please pretty please be super specific as to how one should be trying this I would really appreciate it.