TVG 0.5.4.1 released

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
rmeden
SD Board Member

TVG 0.5.4.1 released

Post by rmeden »

I know unixd0od hangs out here, so I thought I would post this here.

Just installed TVG 0.5.4.1 and have some comments.

After install It lost my config.. I ran setup again manually., but then it would not load the listings.

After existing the program and restarting, it went right to the automatic setup (didn't the first time, I ran it manually). Now I was able to load guide data.

I'm looking forward to the "Send to a Remote MCE function" as I have a remote Vista MCE box. I tried but was unable to get it to work. When I try and schedule a recording it says "unknown error". I ran wireshark and saw that I was talking to *something* on that machine. The last response from the listener was: (text parts only)

Code: Select all

PMCERecordOverLANInterface, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.....
&MCERecordOverLANInterface.RecordStatus.....value__...........
If you wan a full Wireshark trace, let me know.

MCE Suggestions:
1. Add TVG somewhere to the "MCE Record Over LAN" service name. Maybe "MCE TVG Record Over LAN Listener"
2. Can you download pending shows from MCE? Would be great to auto-populate "My Schedule"
3. If #2.. can you identify conflicts? Maybe resolve them? Not sure if the MCE API allows for it.

XMLTV suggestions:
1. Would it be a lot of trouble to right-click a show and be able to view the raw XMLTV record? It would help me troubleshoot problems for folks. :)
2. I think the grid detail box would look nicer if the fields were in consistent locations rather than a stream of fields.
3. Take a look at the TV_CHECK application in XMLTV. It would be great if you could either allow an export of "My Schedule" in the "shows" format. Heck maybe TVG can eventually replace TV_CHECK.

looking good.. I find myself using it more and more.

Robert

unixd0od

Re: TVG 0.5.4.1 released

Post by unixd0od »

Just a quick post because I'm minutes away from sleep, but I also got the "Unknown error" when trying to schedule a remote record request this morning. The problem ended up being that the MCE guide had a different show scheduled on that channel in that particular time slot than what the xmltv listings I had downloaded did. When I used the ClickToRecord plugin on TVG locally on the MCE computer the error more detailed error message I got was "not found" because, obviously due to the line ups not matching, MCE was not able to find the show I was telling it should be in that timeslot.

I don't know who's guide was wrong though (MCE or xmltv).

Also, quick question, what version where you upgrading from?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Sorry, I don't remember what version.

I also noticed you prompt for xmltv.exe again the next time I ran TVG. Any reason for this? I'll check skip this next time... If you can't auto-skip it, at least fill in the existing path to xmltv.exe as the default... it's more intuitive... I thought my setup was lost. (skip worked)

I noticed in the request to Record Over Lan, you include the show title, description, time. The mismatch may very well be the problem. While both MCE and SD get data from TMS, they do offer different types of descriptions. It's probably safe to compare show titles, but not description. (sub-title may also be ok).

Robert

unixd0od

Post by unixd0od »

TVG Version 0.5.4.0 moved all user configuration files into a separate directory so that they would survive future upgrades to TVG, so if you were running a version prior to that, then that is likely why you lost your settings. I'm not sure exactly why you saw the setup wizard twice. The setup wizard (should) only appear if the path to the xmltv.exe is blank and the user has not set the "don't show me the setup wizard" setting.

Can you send me your Exceptions.xml file in the TVG installation directory? It might contain some useful clues. I plan to add some better error reporting to the MCE Record Over Lan services, but at the moment they do log to the Application Event lot when there is an error, so that's one location to keep in mind to check when something isn't working.

In my case yesterday the show mismatch was because Spike TV had "Pro's vs Joe's" on according to MCE when SD's listings said "MXC" was supposed to be on in that timeslot.

unixd0od

Post by unixd0od »

2. Can you download pending shows from MCE? Would be great to auto-populate "My Schedule"
3. If #2.. can you identify conflicts? Maybe resolve them? Not sure if the MCE API allows for it.
I don't want to too-tightly integrate TVG with MCE because I doubt that most TVG users are also MCE users. This is why all of the MCE features are implemented as optional plugins.
1. Would it be a lot of trouble to right-click a show and be able to view the raw XMLTV record? It would help me troubleshoot problems for folks.
I can certainly add this, but with one caveat. TVG doesn't keep the original xmltv data objects in memory, it wraps them and then throws them away, so I can't gurantee that any xml extracted from TVG will be 100% identical to the original xmltv data. It will be damn close, but there could be omissions/differences.

Did you have any luck getting the MCE Record Over LAN features working? Just in case you overlooked it, the service installer contains separate versions for MCE 2k5 and Vista MCE so if you accidentally installed the wrong one it won't work.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

It turns out MCE *did* schedule the recording.. I just got "unknown error" in the TVG UI.

I looked for an exceptions.xml file. It was there but old. I deleted it, and it was not re-created. I don't think the "unknown error" is causing it to be written.

----
I have no problem with the loading of My Schedule being down by a MCE plugin... I think it would be a nice feature.

---
My request would need the raw XMLTV data stored in memory... that's the point.. resolve translation differences. I have no problem with it being optional. If it would mess up the code too much, that's fine... I can search the raw XMLTV with a text editor... that's what I do now. ..

unixd0od

Post by unixd0od »

rmeden wrote:My request would need the raw XMLTV data stored in memory... that's the point.. resolve translation differences. I have no problem with it being optional. If it would mess up the code too much, that's fine... I can search the raw XMLTV with a text editor... that's what I do now. ..
I looked closer and I throw away too much of the original xmltv objects data (to save memory) to give you that feature, sorry :cry: