Windows user - something simple?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
rhywun

Windows user - something simple?

Post by rhywun »

I've been using Couch Potato on the Mac for a couple years and I'm wondering if there's anything similar for Windows. (Couch Potato is a Dashboard widget that shows a simple list that refreshes every hour, and also shows matches of favorite shows that you select. It's dead simple to use - just plug in your username and password and the rest is automated.)

I'm trying a combination of TVG and xmltv right now and it's decent but I don't think it's as automated as I like. And it's pretty high on resources. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

unixd0od

Re: Windows user - something simple?

Post by unixd0od »

What kind of automation are you looking for that TVG lacks?

rhywun

Post by rhywun »

Well, TVG seems to require manual intervention to download new data. I'd like something I can just install and forget about it. Couch Potato downloads fresh data every hour in the background. It doesn't have to be open source, either. But it has be just a simple listing with favorites--I don't use any DVR or anything like that.

cfcubed

Post by cfcubed »

Perhaps a bit biased as I'm one of the developers of it, but maybe take a peek at MyTelly http://sourceforge.net/projects/mytelly.

You have to have a Java ver 1.4 or better JRE around (Mac OS comes with, your Windows box *may* have it already, if not I like Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp ).

There's really no doc for it other than a Readme.txt file in the default ver 1.2 zip download and posts in its public forums.

But just having the JRE around and unzipping the default/non-src MyTelly zip file somewhere should be all there is to its install.

Then just double-click the MyTelly.bat file, Use Tools-> Configure to put in your SD u/p & Tools -> Update to pull down your schedule every week should do it.

It has pretty strong search capability, if I do say so myself:), like ORs (|), 1st occurance, title-only and channel call-letter limited searching.

At this point I have like 6 or 7 saved searches that I run each week (using Search -> Run ALL Searches) to find the needle in the haystack shows worth watching to add to the printable schedule.

Again, I'm a bit biased for sure, but a few years ago I stumbled upon Tom's MyTelly, it was nice then & knowing Java decided to make it nicer. But I've not tried other solutions in the last 2 or 3 years.

Good luck,
Chris