I don't see any advantage over Media Center???

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
TVScheduler

I don't see any advantage over Media Center???

Post by TVScheduler »

rmeden wrote:I don't see any advantage over Media Center... it seems to do everything I need, or at least allows plugins for it.
Robert, I was kind of surprised to read this. I found the Media Center to be nearly unusable. In fact, given a choice between the Media Center and whatever DVR was available from my provider I would take the DVR. I consider it to be a just another pointless tivo clone.

I'm sure, that everyone has a make or break feature. Something the system has to be able to do. For me, it was simple. I hate to miss the first episode of the new series. If anyone had offered that feature I probably would have lived with whatever shortcomings it had. Of course, once I got going on the Fiddle Free TV project I got to abandon the tivo model.

So, everyone, what's your make or break feature?

Bob

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: I don't see any advantage over Media Center???

Post by rmeden »

I've been running media center since around Dec... slowing moving things from a ReplayTV to it.

Mine is a new PC that came with Vista Media Center.. hasn't really been used for anything else. Reliability hasn't been a problem.

Unlike my Replay units, MCE has a history log so if something is missed, I can see why. It also can show what's going to be recorded. I haven't noticed it missed anything.

The picture and mp3 library are very nice. It can also play XM radio streamed via AOL. (free)

There seems to be a lot of 3rd party plugins for it. I'm running one that added commercial skip, which is working well. (95%)

I think it will also automatically transcode and load a Zune.. I'm thinking of getting one, so that can be handy.

The one feature I''m missing is a schedule export so I can feed my TV_CHECK report. I know it can do it since TVG can use it. I'll probably need to write something to export it so my desktop can pick it up.

Robert

TVScheduler

Re: I don't see any advantage over Media Center???

Post by TVScheduler »

rmeden wrote: Unlike my Replay units, MCE has a history log so if something is missed, I can see why. It also can show what's going to be recorded. I haven't noticed it missed anything.
Yeah I considered that important too. I actually created a page in the interface that lists the programs of interest that weren't scheduled. I also store the reason it wasn't scheduled in the data file.
[Recording Data]
WhyNotScheduled=Conflicts with NCIS on channel 242 using Recording System 7
rmeden wrote: There seems to be a lot of 3rd party plugins for it. I'm running one that added commercial skip, which is working well. (95%)
As much as I hate commercials I just can't support software that automatically skips them. The companies buying the commercial time are the ones that are paying to produce the programs that I want to watch. All the broadcaster has to do is run the software that automatically skips commercials to make a few changes to break it. In the end it's a war that can't be won.
rmeden wrote: I think it will also automatically transcode and load a Zune.. I'm thinking of getting one, so that can be handy.
I had to break down and create a means to automatically compress my MPEG-2 files. I called a postprocessor. All it is a little program that uses VirtualDub to convert my files to DivX.

Bob