just looking for a app to run and do searches on my computer

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: just looking for a app to run and do searches on my computer

Post by rmeden »

I'll elaborate on on what you said too. :)
rshendershot wrote:AFAIK there isn't any guide application that just talks to Schedules Direct. So mostly they use XMLTV to handle the part where we want to get scheduling information.
using XMLTV makes it easier on the application so it can support any XMLTV supported country. Many (slight majority) apps on the approved software list don't use XMLTV. They are listed as "standalone" in the list and grab the data directly.

XMLTV provides methods for applications to ask the questions and configure the XMLTV grabber itself. There is active development in this arena. The current TVG does this. It improves the user experience a lot.

You mention time zones (pet peeve of mine)... *please* application developers... stop messing with time zones!!! XMLTV\tv_grab_na_dd does allow a time *OFFSET* (not zone) for user readability. Applications are strongly advised to store the data in UTC (use the offset in the XMLTV file to convert to UTC) and simply convert to local time on user display. It makes a *lot* of issues go away..

I converted XMLTV/tv_check to use UTC and it really worked out well. DST issues simply go away. Timezone issues, go away. Life is good!

It's so cool to see an application working across the DST change..
12:00 12:30 1:00 1:30 1:00 1:30 2:00 2:30
12:00 12:30 1:00 1:30 3:00 3:30

Robert