xmltv time off by 1 hour?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
ricks03

xmltv time off by 1 hour?

Post by ricks03 »

I'm currently using an application called misterhouse, that parses XML in the TV data, and announces when shows start. Only problem is, shows are being announces an hour later (a show starting at 9 is announced at 10).

I'm currently using xmltv-0.5.49-win32

The results for a show in question would be
<programme start="20071113220000 -0400" stop="20071113230000 -0400" channel="I15569.labs.zap2it.com">

for a show that starts at 9:00 PM (same problem, multiple shows). I read that XML as 2007-11-13-2200 (10PM)

The data I have set for schedulesdirect has my zip correct (27705) as well as the correct provider. If I read the xmltv output, I would guess however that data is for GMT -0400

However, in windows it reports my time as GMT -0500 (EST), which is where I think the problem is. Changing my local time to GMD -0400 doesn't fix it.

That mean that the next step of my reading is probably not Timezone aware? Or should the outout from schedulesdirect be for my timezone?

Thanks

Rick

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: xmltv time off by 1 hour?

Post by rmeden »

ricks03 wrote:I'm currently using an application called misterhouse, that parses XML in the TV data, and announces when shows start. Only problem is, shows are being announces an hour later (a show starting at 9 is announced at 10).
Assuming the feature is part of Misterhouse, you cannot use it with Schedules Direct because it's not on the Approved Application list. The Misterhouse developers should contact us to get on the list... If it's the application at http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/ it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's your own non-distributed modification to Misterhouse, that's considered "personal research, non-distributed program" so it's fine.
I'm currently using xmltv-0.5.49-win32

The results for a show in question would be
<programme start="20071113220000 -0400" stop="20071113230000 -0400" channel="I15569.labs.zap2it.com">

for a show that starts at 9:00 PM (same problem, multiple shows).
xmltv supports time *offsets* not time zones. It doesn't automatically adjust for DST. You need to rerun the tv_grab_na_dd --configure and give it a new time offset. (or just edit the tv_grab_na_dd config file)

The best solution is for applications to convert to GMT for internal use and then convert to local for display (or speech in your case). That makes the XMLTV time offset just a readability feature. Your application will then handle daylight savings time like a champ!

Robert

dcantor

Post by dcantor »

rmeden wrote:

xmltv supports time *offsets* not time zones. It doesn't automatically adjust for DST. You need to rerun the tv_grab_na_dd --configure and give it a new time offset. (or just edit the tv_grab_na_dd config file)
I think one of the reasons that people seem to have problems with this concept is that the config file line in which the offset is specified has the word 'timezone' not the word 'offset'. May I humbly suggest that in the next version, a line like

Code: Select all

offset: -0500
or

timeoffset: -0500
or something similar be accepted as a synonym for the current

timezone: -0500
?

I presume that the timezone line would continue to be supported so that people don't HAVE TO edit their files, but all newly configured files would get the offset line.

Dave C.

ricks03

Post by ricks03 »

Thank you that fixed my problem

As for usage, right now it's clearly in the hobbyist category, but I've posted to the MH list to get one of the MH primary coders to request. I write code, I've submitted, even if you don't hear from them, I request it be an approved app!

Rick

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

re: tv_grab_na_dd.conf timeoffset instead of timezone:
Fixed. (it can read either, but writes offset)

I've been contacted by MisterHouse.. they should be on the list tomorrow.

Robert