Windows app that exports for use in Excel?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
DaveS-TV

Windows app that exports for use in Excel?

Post by DaveS-TV »

Does anyone know if any of the approved apps. (that run on windows) will save or export the listing data into a delimited text file that I can use to import into Excel?

Ex:
start date/time, length,channel,title,episode title, etc.etc.

It’s a bit of a kluge, but I already have a handful of Excel macros set up to do most of what I want and don’t have the time to redo it all. The service/app I was using recently passed away along with it’s proprietor? :cry:

Thanks,
DS

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Windows app that exports for use in Excel?

Post by rmeden »

Excel was able to read a XMLTV formatted XML file.. it wasn't pretty (lots of extra columns), but it did it.

I'm surprised, but a quick search for a xmltv2csv didn't find anything. I may write one and add it to xmltv... I think there should be one. We can discuss it on the xmltv-users mailing list.

I do think that starting with XMLTV format will give you a better chance of finding something.

Robert

sbtvlist

Post by sbtvlist »

DaveS-TV wrote:Does anyone know if any of the approved apps. (that run on windows) will save or export the listing data into a delimited text file that I can use to import into Excel?

Ex:
start date/time, length,channel,title,episode title, etc.etc.

It’s a bit of a kluge, but I already have a handful of Excel macros set up to do most of what I want and don’t have the time to redo it all. The service/app I was using recently passed away along with it’s proprietor? :cry:

Thanks,
DS
XMLTV 0.5.49
Dave,

I wrote a Visual Basic Program that parses the xml file generated by XMLTV and fills an Access Database. I then have an Excel sheet that uses Visual Basic for Applications that loads it into a spreadsheet based on a database table of my preferences. There are also a few web pages running locally that list shows, search and set up the preference files. Attached are a few screen shots.

I never had any intentions on publishing and only use it myself. However, always felt that a pro-active method of TV Listing look up was desirable. This allows me to update the data on Sat and produce a listing for the coming week. I check this against my repeat programmed devices. Then all my programs are recorded and waiting for me to watch at my leisure. System works for me for about 4 years now.

If you want to pursue that further, contact me with your phone number and I will call you.

Steve
junkonline@optonline.net

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

sbtvlist wrote:However, always felt that a pro-active method of TV Listing look up was desirable. This allows me to update the data on Sat and produce a listing for the coming week. I check this against my repeat programmed devices.
I know it's fun to write your own, but FYI.. that's what TV_CHECK (part of XMLTV) does. it generates HTML and highlights (with color) schedule changes and new episodes.

Robert

sbtvlist

Post by sbtvlist »

rmeden wrote:
sbtvlist wrote:However, always felt that a pro-active method of TV Listing look up was desirable. This allows me to update the data on Sat and produce a listing for the coming week. I check this against my repeat programmed devices.
I know it's fun to write your own, but FYI.. that's what TV_CHECK (part of XMLTV) does. it generates HTML and highlights (with color) schedule changes and new episodes.

Robert
Not quite. What I needed was a system that alerts and separates the conflicts onto available recording devices, not just a flat listing. The web portion has a more extensive search capability and links to IMDB for movies and lists all cast and original air dates for shows. There are too many features built in to list here but TV_Check didn't do enough of what I needed. And, judging from the first post it doesn't go far enough for Dave.

Steve