Season & Episode Numbers

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.
jmusits

Season & Episode Numbers

Post by jmusits »

After looking through the forums and reading the TMS DataDefinition document I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that there is no reliable way to gather season and episode number from a program's listing. I've been working on a new feature for MythTV and was hoping I could get better data than the often not populated SyndicatedEpisodeNumber field.

Is there something I am missing? Some secret field provided by TMS that Schedules Direct is not currently using? If not is TMS the type of organization that would respond favorably to a request to have this information added to their feed?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Season & Episode Numbers

Post by rmeden »

You're correct.. there does not seem to be an easy way to do this. The episode number provided is something unique to each producer.

I'll go ahead and ask TMS.. there may have been a reason they don't do it (determining order may not be as simple as we think).

If they do accept the feature request it may be a while before it gets implemented. If you were interested in creating a lookup API, SD could probably host it. I'm thinking of a simple TMS EpisodeID -> Season/Episode (and maybe other info) lookup.

We may be able to get some sort of feed from the EPGUIDE folks.

Robert

jmusits

Re: Season & Episode Numbers

Post by jmusits »

Robert,

Thanks for looking into this. I would be glad to write up a lookup API for providing this info, as well as parsing any potential feed data if needed. Also the more important info, for me at least, is the season number, in case that makes a difference in your discussions w/ TMS.

Cheers,

Jason