Recommendations for Historical Data

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.
mneimeyer

Recommendations for Historical Data

Post by mneimeyer »

In other threads it has been verified that Schedules Direct doesn't maintain historical data (and that's fine) but does anyone have a recommendation for where I can actually get historical data?

Here's the situation... Using the Personal Research license (license? Whatever it is...) I wrote a script that simply pulls down listings and builds a database of series and if I flag them for "recording" it saves data about all the episodes for that show. I don't save actual airing times just what networks it has aired on. Then we can find the episodes we need on either FiOS (assuming the DVR wasn't full and it was actually schedule to record) OR Netflix OR Hulu OR FiOS VOD OR on an App (like TNT's) OR on the network's website (some Food Network stuff) or where ever... Once we watch the show we flag it as watched.

I don't want to save every episode of every TV show that ever aired so if I flag a show to watch it can only record "future" episodes as they air (new or not). Hence the desire to fill in gaps with historical data.

I don't need to have the data in the same format as Schedules Direct... I have no problem manually keying in the data for the shows that "got lost" when we moved from DirecTV as long as the Episode Number is what future airings would (likely?) show so that I don't get duplicates later down the road. I've checked epguides, IMDB and Wikipedia and none of them have the episode number (epguides has some but nothing near consistent).

I suppose I could use the Original Air Date as the "ID" ... Any comments on how reliable that is? (For matching from SD vs say IMDB?)

neopelago

Re: Recommendations for Historical Data

Post by neopelago »

The only really good source for such information is web sites for individual programs, which list all episodes for all seasons. Fortunately many, if not most programs have such web sites these days.

neopelago

Re: Recommendations for Historical Data

Post by neopelago »

Oh, and don't overlook Wikipedia which is also good for episode charts.