Cost

mitchd123

Cost

Post by mitchd123 »

First let me say, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the developers...their time is worth money, and I greatly appreciate them spending a large part of their time and talent to keep these applications like mythtv alive.

But my gut tells me many folks are not going to pay much more than the cost of a magazine subscription per year to get the info $12-15USD/year.

I recognize your plan is to drive down the cost over time, and I would encourage you to considered other methods to get your incoming data feed costs down. I'm not sure if there are alternatives to the datadirect model. Perhaps epgdata.com or some other service can help keep costs competitive.

It's a long shot, but perhaps there's even using type of Weatherbug model, where local contributors somehow scrape their local lineups in their zip, and share them with the greater community. We would not want to share copyrighten material but for some crazy reason, I actually think the networks themselves would want to promote what is on.

CWAL

Re: Cost

Post by CWAL »

The networks don't particularly want to promote what is on to users of apps who do not watch the commercials. It reduces their revenue, because commercial views are how they make their money.

danielk
SD Board Member

Post by danielk »

I actually think the networks themselves would want to promote what is on.
There has been some controversy about this on various mailing lists. We learned a couple things putting SD together, one was that many tv stations are glad to tell us what is on, another was that they don't have most of that information. Some networks like PBS keep detailed records and could provide us with the information. But many tell TMS, GemStar, and sometimes TitanTV that they are running "Stargate SG-1" and these services figure out which episode is next in the TV station's feed, and write a description based on info they get from the producers of "Stargate SG-1". Then the station licenses this compiled information for use on their website and for use in their PSIP broadcast info; the station's contract with the aggregator prevents the station from sub-licensing this fleshed out feed to anyone else (the PSIP info you can of course use after you receive it, but by law you can't republish any significant portion of the copyrighted parts of it.)

The other problem is the sheer number of TV stations in the USA and Canada. If we were to put together something like what these content aggregators do, we would need a good number of volunteers and a professional staff. In short, while it would give us much more flexibility in redistribution, it would cost more, not less, to produce.

jmckeown2

Post by jmckeown2 »

danielk wrote:But many tell TMS, GemStar, and sometimes TitanTV that they are running "Stargate SG-1" and these services figure out which episode is next in the TV station's feed, and write a description based on info they get from the producers of "Stargate SG-1". Then the station licenses this compiled information for use on their website and for use in their PSIP broadcast info;
I'm not accusing you of having your facts wrong; I actually believe you. But who the $%^& thought up THAT system?

This smells like something that was put in place as a "temporary workaround" and then was never fixed.

Dachannien

Post by Dachannien »

I laughed until I cried. Which didn't take long.

Seriously, what a crappy arrangement. "Excuse me, would you mind telling us what episode we're running this week? We have no clue."

wayner

Post by wayner »

This is not surprising as the data from my digital cable box, which should be the gold standard as it is coming from my cable provider who should get accurate info from stations/networks is vastly inferior to the data in MCE or xmltv.

whurlston

Post by whurlston »

jmckeown2 wrote:I'm not accusing you of having your facts wrong; I actually believe you. But who the $%^& thought up THAT system?

This smells like something that was put in place as a "temporary workaround" and then was never fixed.
It was probably a conscious decision by broadcasters/CableLabs. Remember, the general public can't be trusted ;) (broadcast flag comes to mind)

bdgbill

Post by bdgbill »

I am just blown away by all the people complaining about the price.

A reliable epg source is the key to the entire PVR experience.

What is the alternative? Download new scrapers every month (assuming someone will continue to develop them)? Spending an hour a week manually programming your PVR like an old VCR? Renting / buying a crippled DVR from your cable company? No thanks.

I think if Zap2It had never existed that people would be thrilled to have a reliable pay epg service made available. I also think that if someone was selling an "EPG PCI card" for $300.00 bucks that most people would be happy to buy it. Service and data is just as valuable as hardware folks.

I for one, am happy to give up one Triple Venti Latte per month for this valuable service.
GBPVR User Since Aug, 2005
IBM P4 2.4GHZ
XP Home
512 Megs RAM
PVR 150
200 g HD (OS and Programs)
500 gb HD Recordings, Photos, Music
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 128MB
Harmony 659 Remote
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 STB dedicated to GBPVR

sbtvlist

Post by sbtvlist »

bdgbill wrote:I am just blown away by all the people complaining about the price.

A reliable epg source is the key to the entire PVR experience.

What is the alternative? Download new scrapers every month (assuming someone will continue to develop them)? Spending an hour a week manually programming your PVR like an old VCR? Renting / buying a crippled DVR from your cable company? No thanks.

I think if Zap2It had never existed that people would be thrilled to have a reliable pay epg service made available. I also think that if someone was selling an "EPG PCI card" for $300.00 bucks that most people would be happy to buy it. Service and data is just as valuable as hardware folks.

I for one, am happy to give up one Triple Venti Latte per month for this valuable service.
I agree completely, The cost for reliable data is extremely reasonable. Don't get me wrong - free is better but, since Zap2it is stopping the free service I for one am thankful someone is picking up the effort.

Great work to all involved.

Steve

wtfbrb

Post by wtfbrb »

LOL well worth it, the cable company charges 5 dollars a month to use their hardware for a dvr, why should anyone go through all the pain of configuring an htpc if it is going to cost them the same amount of money, and that is assuming they already have the htpc. Good luck, someone else will get the data dumps and distribute them.