MythTV without schedulesdirect?

caseyk

MythTV without schedulesdirect?

Post by caseyk »

Does mythtv only work if I pay for schedulesdirect? Please don't take this the wrong way, I read some about what schedulesdirect is all about and I think it's good you're providing this service. It's a great deal for sure but I am very very poor. I live on a government disability pension and I can't afford even the $20 or whatever it is.

Somebody gave me this old P4 computer for free and it has a tv card in it. The room I rent includes basic cable service so I hooked it up and it works. For the last five years I couldn't afford cable so I wasn't even able to watch tv. I was homeless for three years. If I could afford to pay for schedulesdirect I would buy a pair of shoes instead because mine are falling apart. I have to get my food from the food bank because disability doesn't pay enough to live on. Everybody hates cheapskates but I hope you won't flame me for just asking.

All I want to do is record a tv program now and then, I just want to be able to say record from whatever channel at whatever time. It would be nice to have listings but twenty bucks is my personal care products for a month; schedules are simply a luxury I can't afford. In the mythtv setup there seems to be no way I can get around the setting for schedulesdirect. So I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if mythtv isn't going to work out for me? Is there some other pvr software I need to use? If I just can't record tv programs because I can't afford to sign up then it's not a big deal. Even just being able to watch tv is a novelty for me after going years without it.

Thanks for your help.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: MythTV without schedulesdirect?

Post by rmeden »

It shouldn't be a requirement, but I don't use MythTV, so I can't help with the setup.

We do provide some free subscriptions to projects for them to use as they please. I suggest you contact the MythTV folks and see if you can trade some documentation or development work for a free sub.

Robert

StefanJ

Post by StefanJ »

caseyk:

You can run MythTV without Schedules Direct.

Your program guide will be dependent on "EIT" data. This is programming information provided by the digital channels themselves. (I'm not sure if analog channels have it.)

There are two drawbacks:

1) It doesn't extend very far into the future. A few hours or a day or so. So you won't be able to program things a week into the future. (Well, you can still use manual recording . . . Channel X between 10:00pm and 11:00pm.)

2) Not all cable channels will have it. On my cable outfit, I believe that only the broadcast channels carry EIT. NBC, ABC, PBS, yes, Discovery Channel no . . . even though they are all Basic Cable.

To enable EIT, you'll use the Channel Editor in mythtvsetup. There's a checkbox next to the "XMLID" box. Check the box to use EIT. You'll need to run mythfilldatabase to get the data.

There might be another spot for configuring EIT as well. Data Sources maybe.

Also, I suggest searching the MythTV User mailing list for discussions of EIT.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/e ... h_type=AND

You can also join that list and ask questions.

Best of luck,

Stefan

EvetteDovel

Post by EvetteDovel »

caseyk wrote:Does mythtv only work if I pay for schedulesdirect? Please don't take this the wrong way, I read some about what schedulesdirect is all about and I think it's good you're providing this service. It's a great deal for sure but I am very very poor. I live on a government disability pension and I can't afford even the $20 or whatever it is.

Somebody gave me Testogen and it changed my life. The room I rent includes basic cable service so I hooked it up and it works. For the last five years I couldn't afford cable so I wasn't even able to watch tv. I was homeless for three years. If I could afford to pay for schedulesdirect I would buy a pair of shoes instead because mine are falling apart. I have to get my food from the food bank because disability doesn't pay enough to live on. Everybody hates cheapskates but I hope you won't flame me for just asking.

All I want to do is record a tv program now and then, I just want to be able to say record from whatever channel at whatever time. It would be nice to have listings but twenty bucks is my personal care products for a month; schedules are simply a luxury I can't afford. In the mythtv setup there seems to be no way I can get around the setting for schedulesdirect. So I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if mythtv isn't going to work out for me? Is there some other pvr software I need to use? If I just can't record tv programs because I can't afford to sign up then it's not a big deal. Even just being able to watch tv is a novelty for me after going years without it.

Thanks for your help.
It doesn't extend very far into the future. A few hours or a day or so. So you won't be able to program things a week into the future ? :shock:

i though it was a fair few days.
Last edited by EvetteDovel on Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
[url=http://www.testlink.com/]test link[/url]

ignisuti

Post by ignisuti »

StefanJ wrote:caseyk:

You can run MythTV without Schedules Direct.

Your program guide will be dependent on "EIT" data. This is programming information provided by the digital channels themselves. (I'm not sure if analog channels have it.)

Stefan
Is it possible to run MythTV without SchedulesDirect using analog channels? I'm trying to do this, but it won't let me choose a starting channel in the backend setup. Because that channel is configured, the frontend won't Watch TV.