How do I import SD guide data into MCE 2005?

shift_paradigm

How do I import SD guide data into MCE 2005?

Post by shift_paradigm »

I've configured xml to grab the guide data I want and have a batch file that I can schedule to run whenever I want it to.

How do I get that data into MCE 2005's guide?
HP Z558/ATI 3450/2GB PC3200/ATI HDTV WONDER/VBOX 3560 USB/MCE2005/FREE OTA ONLY

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: How do I import SD guide data into MCE 2005?

Post by rmeden »

Doing so would be a violation of our terms of service (and SD's contract with Tribune).

Microsoft's Media Center is not on the list of approved applications. It is also a commercial product, so couldn't be added to the list.

Data obtained via Schedules Direct can only be used with approved software. To be approved, the software must be non-commercial or granted an exception by Tribune.

If you can't use the guide provided by Microsoft, I recommend switching to GB-PVR or another Open Source app where we *can* provide guide data.

(BTW.. this is not a bash against Media Center... I use it myself and with some 3rd party plugins is pretty good. You just can't put data obtained from SD in it)

Robert

shift_paradigm

Post by shift_paradigm »

Thanks Robert. I do use SD with GB-PVR on another pc and it works great with SD. Just would like to fix the missing subchannel data issue on my MCE machine as the series recording abilities of MCE are unmatched by GB-PVR and MediaPortal. Haven't tried any others yet as I've put enough time into it for now.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Yea, MCE does a great job with that. I think MythTV uses a similar algorithm.

For the benefit of GB-PVR and other folks, here's what it does.. (I'm pretty sure MCE gets data from TMS too)

First, you can set it to only record <new> episodes. MCE uses the <new> flag. SH* Episode numbers don't seem to be recorded in that case. I haven't seen the rare issue of new programs with SH* episode numbers. Either I haven't noticed the missed recordings, or the data is updated more frequently than our feed and they get EP* numbers before it airs.

If a conflict is detected, conflicted episodes that are on at another time/channel (same EP* number) are recorded instead. In my case, this moves network shows to ATSC and cable shows to a different time slot.

You're notified of conflicts and can manually fix them, and adjust priorities for default conflict resolution.

Conflict resolution UI could be a little better, but for the most part "it just works"

Robert

shift_paradigm

Post by shift_paradigm »

Conflict resolution is definitely weak in MCE, at least 2005 as I haven't tried Vista's MCE yet. I rarely see conflict notices. Usually don't even know there was a conflict until I realize a sceduled recording is missing. GB-PVR has a nice interface for checking for conflicts, but doesn't allow me to schedule to record "first-run only." It's also a breeze to setup in comparison with MediaPortal. MP seems more polished overall, but getting the guide to work was... mysterious at best. I did find a relatively inexpensive aid to the conflict problem with MCE however - an additional ATSC tuner. I use an HP Z558 so due to case size I was unable to add an internal tuner, but found a very inexpensive USB tuner in the VBox 3560. Was able to pick it up at a local retailer for $30. Warning though, it REQUIRED a powered USB hub in order to function - an additional $12 at the same local retailer. It draws its power through the USB connector and I've read that it draws 400ma. The z558 only has a 230watt power supply and I guess this wasn't enough to keep the VBox happy. I'd add another one except that would require a registry hack (or more) of MCE and I don't want to mess with it (anymore).

The fact that MCE "just works" and the fact that it's licenced and installed already are what keeps me using MCE on the Z558. I don't think the day will ever come that the subchannel issue will be fixed by M$, but because it's functionality is so smooth I keep hoping. I like to think I'm like Andy Dufresne... holding out and hoping for that payoff someday. Haha!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I'm using Vista Media Center with analog cable and a ATSC tuner. I'm not sure how Vista is different than MCE 2005.

Having an ATSC choice definitely makes conflict detection almost automatic for me. Network shows are typically only on once and the second video source is what resolves conflicts. I use TV_CHECK to detect triple conflicts, and if that were to happen (only happened a few times this year), I would move a show to a ReplayTV .

Without the second tuner, conflicts could only be detected, not resolved. TV_CHECK detects most of my conflicts, but sometimes I scan at the scheduled recording list. (A few minor shows are not in TV_CHECK)

I bought this Media Center PC cheap, with the plan to reload Vista with Linux for MythTV. It turns out there are no Linux drivers for the tuner card, so I tried some windows apps. MCE actually worked the best for me so I've stuck with it and have been very happy.

Robert

slim

Post by slim »

If you have the funds you might consider building a dedicated MythUbuntu box hooked to a HDTV as a monitor as a main Home Theater system. I was using WME for a while but find the Linux based MythTV much more dynamic.

I am recommending it to anyone who will listen. You do need to make sure you find Linux compatible TV Cards.

I have heard of people doing more than one HD recording at a time in Windows but as a person that owned their own IT business from 1990 to 2007 I was never able to get anywhere near the same results as with MythTV.

Part of the problem is that Windows does't do the Backend-Frontend setup like MythTV does.