Windows PVR

hkdl

Windows PVR

Post by hkdl »

Well I'm asking here because I'm assuming there are a wide range of users here from different programs. Basically I used mythtv for a long time with a dual monitor setup, which worked pretty well. I loved myth and all the features it has. Due to my job(.NET Developer) I need to run windows. I'm trying to find a decent(and free) PVR program to use. GBPVR is alright but doesn't have the features I'm looking for, like I can't even setup priorities, that's what bugs me the most. I can't even get Media Portal to work with my setup...which is...a PVR150MCE with directv serial control. I'm considering downloading the source and modifying it for my own uses, but from taking a look at it...it seems pretty messy.Before I dive into that I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone else has any suggestions. I'm also considering spending the money and building a stand alone myth box but I'm trying to avoid doing that if I can(money issues).

Thanks!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Windows PVR

Post by rmeden »

I actually use Windows (Vista) Media Center and have been pretty happy with it.

The one feature I wish it had was categorizing recorded shows (list can be long). Neither GB-PVR nor MCE has that, but I'm doing ok w/o it for now.

I just use analog cable to avoid problems. :)

Robert

hkdl

Post by hkdl »

Well since myth is what I wanted, I just decided to buy a cheap box and make a dedicated box. Windows PVRs just don't do it for me. I did consider MCE but once thing my friend ran into on some things is he get's an error saying it can't record certain programs.

slim

Post by slim »

Windows is ok for analog but for digital and multiple recordings Mythtv is the only way to go.

I never could get a firewire primer to work right in windows. Plus the same HDTV card I use in MythTV only recorded when it felt like it in Windows.

I know a lot of Windows users that call Linux a hobby OS but a computer using MythTV on Linux is a good example of this no longer being even remotely true.

I missed 10% of my Analog shows and 30% of my digital (on antenna only) when using Windows. I have missed 3 shows using MythTV in the 2 years using it. Those were because of the connection dropped (Comcast issue) or bad weather (Antenna Issue).

As for the .net stuff you might want to consider getting VMWare and installing working on it from there. I need the real MS Office for my business since my clients need macro editing done and also for QuickBooks because I have not had a chance to convert to a Linux based accounting program.

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler »

slim wrote:Windows is ok for analog but for digital and multiple recordings Mythtv is the only way to go.

I never could get a firewire primer to work right in windows. Plus the same HDTV card I use in MythTV only recorded when it felt like it in Windows.
I was staying out of this because I don't really see any point to using a computer with a single capture card. But..... I used FireWire in windows a lot without any problems..... And I've use 3 ATSC tuners in windows for years. I currently use Fiddle Free TV in a dual computer system with 3 ATSC recorders, 4 MPEG encoders and over 4TB of storage. I know it works because I wrote Fiddle Free TV and I have been working on it since before you could get a TV card with an MPEG encoder on it. Back then I used VCRs to capture video.

The main reason to not use windows is Microsoft's upgrade game where they force the user to buy new hardware and software. Fiddle Free TV is written almost entirely in VB6 which is now a dead language that can't even access a serial port in vista. None of that matters because the next incarnation of my software will require Linux's networking talents as the user interface will be where ever the user is. It's just that I can't see myself starting over again from scratch.

Bob