Renewal time?

slim

Re: Renewal time?

Post by slim »

I just renewed and wanted to thank you for your first year of this valuable service.

My new job means going to bed at 9pm to get up at 4am (tree fruit sales data analysis) and being able to record my 9-10pm is a great joy to me. It makes me feel that I don't just work, eat and sleep when I can just watch my usual shows at 6-7pm.

Of course I had to buy a 1TB hard drive to do it but hey.

Thanks to the MythTV developers as well.

Jamyn

Post by Jamyn »

The policy of rejecting renewals unless the account is < 45 days from expiring is really counterintuitive to me, and seems like a very poor business decision.

AUTO-RENEW PROS:
- Ensures TV guide data remains available
- Less to worry about/remember to renew
- Potentialy more revenue for SD

AUTO-RENEW CONS:
- You may not expect a $20 charge. (but to be fair, if $20 breaks your bank...)

Fine - don't make it a default. Have users manually renew by default. But if I manually choose auto renew, check the "I agree" box, type in 'YES I'M SURE' in the confirmation box, dance in a circle, and pay homage to the scheduling gods - I should be able to auto-renew. In short, it's a hassle for me to remember my renewal date. I want to let MythTV run for years and forget about paying a schedule renewal fee. Please provide what your customer base wants, and allow some form of auto-renew.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Jamyn wrote: AUTO-RENEW PROS:
- Ensures TV guide data remains available
- Less to worry about/remember to renew
- Potential more revenue for SD

AUTO-RENEW CONS:
- You may not expect a $20 charge. (but to be fair, if $20 breaks your bank...)
Other cons...
1. Having to deal with the customer services of refunding auto-payments
2. storing payment info (unless we use PayPal subscriptions)
3. Concern about impression it provides (even if opt in/opt out)
4. Complicating the process ( some folks have trouble with the 4 options now!)

We initially planned on using PayPal with a monthly subscription, but when we got the price down to $20/year, didn't feel it was worth the trouble. I still don't think it's worth it... logging on to the SD site one a year, isn't really that big a deal.

>45 day renewals can be done by request, but causes complications when we change the price or subscription term. We did that a lot when we first started, and while that was a long time ago, we sometimes talk about doing it again.

I do appreciate the feedback.

Robert

Jamyn

Post by Jamyn »

All valid points. As an alternative, I do hope we can pre-pay for longer periods in the future. Thanks for taking the time to respond.