Reruns?

Ferrari328

Reruns?

Post by Ferrari328 »

Where did the rerun label go? I noticed it gone at the end of zapit listings and was hoping they would come back here but nothing is marked as reruns. Pocket TV Manager and Pocket TV Browser.

Thanks

/Peter

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Reruns?

Post by rmeden »

With Zap2IT labs Tribune used to flag shows as "repeats". Now Tribune doesn't flag repeats but flags shows as "new". Further complicating things, Sports programs (SP* program id) are not flagged as "new".

The best solution is for applications is to use "Original-Air-Date" in addition to the "new" flag to detect when something is a rerun.

Note, the Tribune data only considers a show "new" the first time it's aired. For example, if Discovery shows Mythbusters at 9pm and 11pm, only the 9pm is "new".

Here's the logic I use...

in TV_GRAB_NA_DD generating XMLTV formatted data
set XMLTV "previously-shown" as existing but empty if Tribune program-id is "EP*" or "SP*" and not "new"
set XMLTV "previously-shown"->"start" attribute with Tribune's "Original-Air-Date"
delete XMLTV "previously-shown" tag if Tribune data has "new" attribute.

In TV_CHECK (an application that uses XMLTV formatted data)
delete the previously-shown tag if "previously-shown"->"start" (was Original-Air-Date) is within 2 months.
flag a show as (R) if previously-shown tag exists

I'm hesitant to added the 2 month logic to _na_dd as it removes useful information to XMLTV applications. I think it's better for applications to make the decision.

Robert

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

BTW.. this change effected *all* Tribune customers. My ReplayTV's (R) flag is now almost useless.

Robert

donintn

Post by donintn »

I am curious to know if this rerun issue (TMS no longer using the 'rerun' flag) is being addressed on either the SD or MythTV side? While I have been very happy with the accuracy of SD guide information I have received, I would have to say this is the one issue that keeps me from saying it's a 'perfect' guide solution for MythTV users.

I have searched the mythtv-users forum and notes for .21 release of MythTV and haven't found any information regarding an attempt to fix or resolve this issue on the MythTV side.

Is there any hope of resolving this issue in the near future? Maybe in MythTV .21?

I figured I would ask about this here since another post stated nearly 80% of SD users are MythTV users and any information regarding this issue would be of interest to most who read this forum.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I'm not sure how this can be addressed on the SD side... we've documented the issue for developers....

I believe MythTV decides based on Episode-id. At least as far as recording duplicates.

Robert

slim

Post by slim »

I use MythTV and after getting used to the new system I prefer it. I find the "New" flag only much easier to find shows I want to watch. By the way it seems that TV Guide and others have also changed this.

As said before, MythTV works fine finding repeats using the ID. I just flag the show to always record in the time slot and MythTV does a good job keeping track of them.

I would actually hope the MythTV developers don't change it back.

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler »

This is something that I have never understood.

On my system a program has been watched or it hasn't. A series has been encountered before or is hasn't. It's got to be local info. If you have to choose between two shows you don't need to know which is a rerun you need to know if one of them has been watched.

Anytime a program is displayed on my screen I see a little orange dot if the show has been watched.

Am I the only one with these kinds of features?

Did anyone else's system automatically start scheduling the new Terminator series? I didn't even know it was going to be on until is showed up as something recently recorded.

I've been spending all my time working on a new speech recognition system that approaches artificial intelligence. ;)

I can see it, but it's just beyond my grasp. But I'm sure that I will soon be able to say, "Find me a Star Trek episode." And the computer will answer, "I have episodes from several series, the most recent recording is a Star Trek: Enterprise episode. Shall I play that?"

I'm sure I'll have it all working before a good head worn display becomes available. The ones I've looked at, that are not for gaming, don't include the required audio components. Didn't those guys watch Laura Croft? :lol: When wearing a computer monitor on your nose, the computer screen should be at the bottom of your field of vision, like looking into a bifocal and it should have full audio. 8-)

Anyway, if I ever get that little computer/cell phone with the head worn display I'll be able to answer the computer saying, "Yes, play that on the big screen in the living room."

Bob

moonmoon

Post by moonmoon »

I got the information.

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler »

moonmoon wrote:I got the information.
On reruns or the information about an audio interface for mobile computers?

I followed your link to PQ. Have you guys figured out how to put a truck stop waitress with a British accent into a mobile computer? 8-)

As it turns out the mechanics required for interactive audio interface with simulated emotions isn't a problem. The problem is that a writer is required to create the character and an actor is needed to read the lines. Both of these things are way outside my skill set.

Bob

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler »

Just to show that I'm not a complete crackpot. Here's a link to a speech interface toy http://www.tvscheduler.net/files/SpeechInterface.zip

It doesn't do much but it will let you add a new phrase, and new responses, and new commands. Any speech recognition engine doing dictation should work. Take a look at the Speech Interface Phrases.txt file. It's pretty simple, if you use affectionate words the mood gets better, if you use angry words the mood gets worse.

Bob