CT TV Listings

Pickle

CT TV Listings

Post by Pickle »

mythtvnews.com has reported about another listings provider which appears to have more options and lower prices than SD.
Competetion is good for us the consumers, but it could be bad for SD. I wondering if the SD guys have an opinion/response to this?
Heres the link: http://mythtvnews.com/2007/09/25/ct-tv- ... es-direct/

Here some pricing info from the CT site:
We are happy to announce a very special introductory offer for the first 100 and the next 500 subscribers only.

First 500 Subscribers Only - Discount Code: CTLFIRST500
Full Listings with Cast/Crew - One Year Plan: $10.00
Listings Lite (Includes: Show times, Title, Sub-title, Description) - One Year Plan: $5.00

New Regular Prices
Listings Lite (Includes: Show times, Title, Sub-title, Description) - One Year Plan: $10.00
Full Listing No Cast & Crew - One Year Plan: $15.00
Full Listing No Cast & Crew - Monthly Plan: $2.50
Full Listings with Cast & Crew - One Year Plan: $20.00
Full Listings with Cast & Crew - Monthly Plan: $3.30

slim

Re: CT TV Listings

Post by slim »

I for one will stay clear of introductory pricing. It is a tease and once the first groups are done it won't be less.

Also SD has been clear that they are all for other people trying this.

Competition is not for non-profits by the way. Like many you are treating them like they are a commercial enterprise. They are not.

If CT is commercial, I would highly recommend that you stick with the SD listings.

mesau

Post by mesau »

CT TV Listings also states they do not support OTA listings.

Pickle

Post by Pickle »

It might sound from my original post that im for switching, im not actually.

The biggest reason im posting this is to make SD aware, they may be non-profit, but they still have a bottom line. There are probally some people that are very cheap and will go for the lowest price. In the worst extreme situation there may be enough users that switch over and SD couldnt meet the cost's to run as they are.

Personally I have no plans to move to anyone else, SD works and it works well for a reasonable fee.

TCharles

Post by TCharles »

Interesting since I was under the impression CTpvr got their listings from TMS as SD does.

slim

Post by slim »

Pickle wrote:It might sound from my original post that im for switching, im not actually.

The biggest reason im posting this is to make SD aware, they may be non-profit, but they still have a bottom line. There are probally some people that are very cheap and will go for the lowest price. In the worst extreme situation there may be enough users that switch over and SD couldnt meet the cost's to run as they are.

Personally I have no plans to move to anyone else, SD works and it works well for a reasonable fee.
Since it sounds like CT is a commercial venture and SD users are using open source software means most will stick with SD.

xris
SD Board Member

Post by xris »

Pickle wrote:The biggest reason im posting this is to make SD aware
We've been aware of this since he first posted in his forums about planning to make the service available (several weeks ago). I'd say that competition is good, but in this case, he's licensing the data from TMS, the same as we do, so the only winner in a price war would be TMS.

Anyway, you won't find any complaints from the SD crew -- those of us involved with MythTV think it can only be good to have multiple sources of data. I doubt that SD will fall apart (we have enough membership to keep going strong for at least a year now). We do offer different data than CT (OTA, Canada), and our prices are basically the same except that we don't currently offer the lower-cost tiers.

The big difference is that he's trying to make a profit on this, and (unless he got some huge discount from TMS) is subsidizing the cost of the listing subscriptions with the sale of his windows-based DVR software. I'd like to think that the members of the FOSS community that use SD would prefer to support people with similar interests, too.

Dachannien

Post by Dachannien »

I consider any overage that I pay to SD compared to CT to be gladly donated to the OSS movement ;)