SD is in violation of a Microsoft patent...?

krkosska

SD is in violation of a Microsoft patent...?

Post by krkosska »

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/11/1228241

"Maybe you shouldn't get too attached to those new Windows Live services. On Tuesday, the USPTO granted Microsoft a patent for privacy policy change notification, which describes how to threaten users with the loss of their accounts and access to web sites and services should they refuse to consent to changes in a privacy policy. This includes the case where a user might object to allowing personal information, collected earlier with a promise of confidentiality, to be shared in the future with third parties. Also described is a 'Never Notify Me' option so you won't have to 'worry' over privacy policy changes."

danielk
SD Board Member

Re: SD is in violation of a Microsoft patent...?

Post by danielk »

:lol: Hehe :lol:

Fortunately, we are required to notify members of changes under the Subscriber Agreement (which includes the Privacy Policy by reference) and current 9th circuit law (where our world headquarters are) so it sounds like we will not be in violation of the "Never Notify Me" patent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jmckeown2

Post by jmckeown2 »

Also described is a 'Never Notify Me' option so you won't have to 'worry' over privacy policy changes.
Wait, so is Microsoft trying to patent NOT being annoying ?!?!?

Or are they saying they're patenting "you'll accept whatever we want to do you"? Microsoft "Trust Me wink-wink"

slim

Post by slim »

The best thing to do with anything coming out of the Microsoft arena is to ignore it.

They will try to get involved in everything so the best offensive posture is to pretend they don't exist.

There attacks don't hold up in court so don't worry about them.

Dachannien

Post by Dachannien »

At least some of the claims probably have prior art. Things like TOS changes for games like World of Warcraft come to mind (I don't remember now which games ask every time you log in and which ones only ask when something changes, but I think WoW was in the latter category).

I ANAL, however.