XMLTV- Am I running an approved App?

dennit

XMLTV- Am I running an approved App?

Post by dennit »

I've used XMLTV in North America since the original scraper days. I run a Debian system that uses XMLTV data for lots of little things that I've customized. Some examples include an email to myself at the office, create a text file of my favorites, searches on keywords/actors, etc. that send a message displayed on a TiVo, automatic deletion of files recorded by the TiVo that I don't want kept, but it keeps recording, etc. (The TiVo stuff is via a hack that runs a web server on the TiVo that allows user interface control by simulating the remote)

I've got several questions. One is whether this is approved. Another is whether all the options under XMLTV will still be there (I use one that specifies an old style of DD channel numbering). Another is whether I really have to agree to indemnify someone under the SD license. The last is if there is some way to verify that this is going to still work - is there a test system or sample data?

If what I'm doing is not allowed, can I stop doing some things with XMLTV that would make it allowed? Any comments?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: XMLTV- Am I running an approved App?

Post by rmeden »

Yes, --old-chan-id will still be there... I use it too. :)

When you get to sign-up there's a checkbox for household non-distributed non-commercial applications (we're working on improving the wording). That would cover the XMLTV local email side of your app.

I wrote a similar app called tv_check which is now part of XMLTV.

As long as you don't populate the Tivo guide, I don't see a problem with it.

Robert

dennit

Post by dennit »

yes, --old-chan-id will still be there... I use it too. :)
Thanks for the reply (and the info on --old-chan-id). I suspect that means I can use it as a direct replacement for what I have now. I think I'll take this chance to thank you for your work on XMLTV.
When you get to sign-up there's a checkbox for household non-distributed non-commercial applications (we're working on improving the wording). That would cover the XMLTV local email side of your app.
I'd like to see the final wording. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the license language that appears to require me to make indemnifications if I stray outside certain restrictions. I have to admit, I'm not sure where I'm going to go. On one hand, I'm really used to my current setup. It provides functionality that I value and fits my needs well, but it's not mandatory for me. On the other hand, the price is high for the value I get (no reflection on SD, if I was running MythTV and used the data for DVR scheduling, I'd sign up in a second.) I know it's farfetched that anyone is going to sue me or make me indemnify their legal fees, but words like "indemnification" and "non-distributed" just make me nervous. Sending an email - is that "distribution?" Telling the TiVo to delete a recorded movie - is that like telling it to record or not record as in "populating the guide"? Writing my own little scripts and Perl apps to automate minor tasks - is that too close to violating the SD license by running an unapproved app. It'd be less worrisome if I was doing something exactly like everyone else. I've always thought of XMLTV as a standard way to get data, not as an end app to use it.

I'm not complaining - I know what it's like to try to get something done and have all those you are trying to help complaining about the decisions you make. I wish SD well and understand the need for legalese in the license to protect volunteers who won't be making any money out of this.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Sending an email to yourself isn't distribution.
Sending an email to 100 of your closest friends is.

Robert