Advertising to Help Offset Costs ??

slim

Re: Advertising to Help Offset Costs ??

Post by slim »

gryphon68 wrote:Any chance of incorporating some advertising into the applications using SD to help offset the subscription costs.

In Myth for instance, an ad banner at the top of the Schedule Guide would be fairly non-invasive, also at the top of the guide data when viewing on MythWeb. In either case the user could click on the ad for more info. Ads should be kept entertainment related (Movies, Music, TV) if at all possible or possibly related to program that is currently highlighted.

Any thoughts on the merits or problems with the basic idea?
Like I've stated in the forums before, if you find the very low cost of Schedules Direct too high, use manual recording instead and don't complain about why they are not using ads.

Besides that your model would not likely be legal because Schedules Direct is a non-profit.

Quite frankly anyone who can't afford the ultra low price of this service should be spending time looking for a job or a better job and not watching TV in the first place.

danielk
SD Board Member

Post by danielk »

Besides that your model would not likely be legal because Schedules Direct is a non-profit.
Schedules Direct could legally have ads, we would just have to pay full corporate taxes on the revenues, just like the non-profit Mozilla foundation has to do with the money they get from Google. But there are both practical and philosophical reasons not to go down that road.

jwhiteman

Post by jwhiteman »

Do not add it, ever... I subscribed because of the lack of advertising.....

If you are paying for a service and then get hit with ads it feels like a slap in the face..

It is bad enough you have to pay for cable and STILL see ads.

bweatherill

Post by bweatherill »

rshendershot wrote: Schedules Direct might be the only entity in the world that I might trust for something like this...

And how would you separate user by market segment? Like Amazon, I buy a book for my 78 yr old mother and, holly cow!, they want to offer me many many more knitting books...

Another big difference is that Neilsen purports to measure everything watched in a household....
To respond to the points I've cut out from your main text :

Schedules Direct is exactly the organisation that can handle this data
All contributions should be voluntary, allowing an added "others watched this" feature as a reward should be sufficient
All the data should be anonymous

Separating by market segment can be done in a couple of ways, Myth supports different users, that information can be tracked and uploaded as a separate entry

Using myth for over 3 years now, I have not switched to a live feed on my TV at all (unless I patched and hosed the system ;)) I use the Watch live TV feature if I want live TV, not the direct cable input

Data is valuable, this data, from a significant percentage of a highly sought demographic makes this data more so..

I truely believe this could fund SD all by itself

openivo

Post by openivo »

I had an idea to take this to the next level.
A free computer-dvr and free dvr service in return for access for targeted advertising and e-commerce.

The PC-DVR uploads all viewing information (shows recorded, shows watched, commercials watched, commercials skipped, etc.) to the central servers. No PII (personal identifiable information) would be collected.

The PC-DVR downloads extra commercials targeted to the viewer. These can also be skipped/FFW'ed, but if the system works, you probably will want to see the commercial, since it is targeted to you. If commercials are good, people want to watch them. How many people tune in to the Super Bowl mainly to watch the commercials?

I started a company and filed provisional patent claims on the system. The plan is to keep all the code on the set-top box open source.

Keep SD ad-free. Let the support come from the users.

Marc Allan Feldman
Director and Owner
Openivo, Inc.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I'm sorry, but the SD contract with Tribune will not allow commercial use.

Tribune does offer commercial licenses, but you'll need to talk to them about it. With their DataDirect service, code changes to any approved app should be minimal. (probably just a URL change)

If you wish to contact them, drop me a PM, email, or submit the web form on the main page for the email address (I don't want to put it here to limit spam)

BTW.. I think Tivo tried to sell ads and viewer info a while back and it didn't work out. I'm not sure if your situation is different, and there always is the case it was before its time.

Robert

slim

Post by slim »

It is really interesting on how many people who use open source projects don't really understand the principle behind them.

With commercial software you pay for the right to ask for a refund, complain about things that don't work and use another product when that fails.

With Open Software you may pay for some cost with the project but since they are not and really can't "make money" because they have preset Non-Profit rules they have to follow. They also are not Freeware but are under Open Source agreements they also have to follow.

People who use the Open Software are sharing it and not purchasing or leasing it. The Non-Profit and Open Source rules they have to follow mean that the end users are the 3rd consideration and not the 1st consideration the developers have to consider.

All of these means is that with Open Source software (unlike commercial software) you pay for some SD's expenses for the data and have the ability to suggest things unless they are in contrary to obvious Non-Profit and/or Open Source rules.

Since the SD Developers have stated several times they can't do certain things because they would violate the rules complainers should know by now what they can and can't do legally.

Most of the people trying various methods to get the listings for free think SD should be free. If that is your opinion then SD is the wrong place for this. They are not Freeware. Trying to drive them to become Freeware is an insult to what they are doing for us.

The advertising comment is just the latest way they are trying to do this.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

You have a couple of things slightly wrong slim...

Open Source != Free (speech or beer).

Unlike commercial software, with Open Source you have the ability to fix a problem yourself or pay someone else to fix it. Period... that's on only difference between OSS and Commercial. Sometimes you pay for OSS software. (Faircom's Ctree comes to mind)

Many OSS projects are also Free as in beer: You don't pay a dime for it... aka freeware.

Many OSS projects are also Free as in speech. You're free to do with it as you please. Make copies for yourself and others, make changes, etc. Sometimes there are restrictions or rules to follow.

Open Source projects can be a mixture of these things....

SD's terms require apps to be non-commercial. (free as in beer). That's it.. source doesn't need to be released, the person that distributes it must not be a business and cannot be making money directly or indirectly from the product. Most, but not all of our apps are also Open Source.

SD itself isn't open source (although I guess we have released some sample code as freeware). Our board *is* made up of folks who deal with Open Source apps.

OpenIVO has an interesting idea and I wish him well... He can use many of our Free as in Speech approved apps for his project (many have license terms that permit it). He'll just need to get listing data somewhere else.

Robert

rshendershot

Post by rshendershot »

bweatherill wrote:Data is valuable, this data, from a significant percentage of a highly sought demographic makes this data more so..

I truely believe this could fund SD all by itself
I'm thinking this is the wrong board for this, and the wrong thread, since you're idea isn't advertising, it's arbitrage of the cumulative data. I'd suggest, if you like, followup on the developer's board. Certainly the issue with handling different user profiles involves additions to the request API. Or some other feedback system entirely.

I don't have anything more to say, really, except to re-assert that for the minimal cost to the user it doesn't make sense to try to eliminate subscriptions (or to make them Zero dollars) when the effort is going to take valuable time away from core SD concerns. And I'm *really* against the idea of user-habit tracking.

OT: Happy New Year and, SchedulesDirect... Thanks!!!!