Advertising to Help Offset Costs ??

gryphon68

Advertising to Help Offset Costs ??

Post by gryphon68 »

Any chance of incorporating some advertising into the applications using SD to help offset the subscription costs.

In Myth for instance, an ad banner at the top of the Schedule Guide would be fairly non-invasive, also at the top of the guide data when viewing on MythWeb. In either case the user could click on the ad for more info. Ads should be kept entertainment related (Movies, Music, TV) if at all possible or possibly related to program that is currently highlighted.

Any thoughts on the merits or problems with the basic idea?

Mehster

Re: Advertising to Help Offset Costs ??

Post by Mehster »

The problem with the basic idea is that a lot of people use MythTV to get away from advertising. $5 a month to avoid any and all advertisement is a pittance IMO.

eagle862

Post by eagle862 »

"The problem with the basic idea is that a lot of people use MythTV to get away from advertising. $5 a month to avoid any and all advertisement is a pittance IMO."

I agree completely, keep all advertising out of the loop. I will gladly pay the 5.00/month to avoid it.

John

StuartM

Post by StuartM »

Embedding advertising in an open source application is a non-starter, it would be far too easy to remove. If people didn't want to pay for the data then they would be unlikely to tolerate the advertising. Patches to disable it would be available on the mailing lists within minutes.

Don't forget to consider the added work in maintaining the advertising and the relationships with the client companies. It would require SD to take on at least one, probably more, full time staff members. That of course means that costs increase and the income from advertising would have to cover that.

Advertising couldn't really be like the web-based stuff, you can't click through to a website on a media pc. Most don't even have browsers installed and even if they do, web pages don't work well on TVs.

On last thought, would it damage the reputation of products like MythTV? I personally think it would - very few people like their applications to contain advertising. Even for users outside North America, who might never see SD related advertising in MythTV. They will read about the advertising banners in reviews, guides or discussions about MythTV but they won't keep reading to discover the justification for it. First impressions are important and advertising banners in your software gives a bad impression.

rshendershot

Post by rshendershot »

Any thoughts on the merits or problems with the basic idea?
it's a data feed. how would you force every SOAP requestor to display your ads in their application? I would never add it to freeguide.

I fear that marketers are looking for another venue and that's why this "suggestion" keeps popping up.

bweatherill

Post by bweatherill »

One of the things that SD could offer to do, that doesn't involve advertising directly..

All of the MythTV users have an SQL database full of shows we've watched, or plan to watch..
1. Offer an option to upload anonymous data from our databases once a month, offer us a discount or a "wishlist" feature..

2. Then go in to competition with Neilson.. you'll have better information, automated :P

3. ????

4. *Profit*

Just an idea.. and of course it has to be entirely voluntary

brasscannon

Post by brasscannon »

Do not even joke about putting ads into my program guide. I've seen it, it's called "TitanTV" and it is NOT usable as a Zap2it replacement.

I am one of the guys who put my money where my mouth is, to get the listings the way *I* want them. That is the only thing that makes watching TV bearable to me. (Heck, we don't OWN a TV -- my computer monitor is the only "television" in this household.)

The day SD turns into yet another TitanTV, that will be the end of television for my family. I'll format the drive and use it for something else, maybe donate the bandwidth as a mirror of Gutenberg.org.

I *do* like the idea of a high-quality data feed in the other way, one that (I suspect) would show that the Nielsens are a line of statistically indefensible BS.... But that flow does NOT involve yet another advertising stream of them telling us how tasty their new batch of swill is. We don't need another TitanTV.

snappingturtle

Post by snappingturtle »

If the advertising were on schedulesdirect.org and done non-evasively in a similar manner as google does with gmail, I would personally not find this objectionable.

rshendershot

Post by rshendershot »

I'm with the _Absolutely_No_Advertising_ crowd. If I wanted to enhance my Consumerism (I am NOT a consumer, I'm a Citizen!) I'd not have paid a subscription.

I would prefer that the SD Devs, who have busy lives as MythTV, XMLTV, etc. devs also, spend what time they have towards SD in designing and producing great features and code, NOT in scuttling about driving advertising dollars to the site, or gawd-forfend, the webservice. Every banner, pop up or even link they have to spend time coding into the site is more hours away from delivering on the contract we entered into w/r/t our subscription service. One less bug attended to. One fewer lineups corrected. One less phone call to TMS. One more XML element that maybe kinda shoulda been done a different way but who has the time this will work for now....

I automatically conclude that anyone who advocates advertising here must assuredly have an agenda. If not, please declare that you do not have a vested interest. And remember, if you think it will benefit you by decreasing your subscription cost; 1) Zap2It found little synergy between having subscription data and driving those same folks to their ad-supported site http://www.zap2it.com/tv/. Take a look. Is that what you want here? Also, 2) there's a break-even point where the cost to gain advertisers starts to be balanced by the revenue. We're not talking, not these days, just a banner at the top, not that would decrease our subscription cost in any significant way anyways. We're talking full-out, find the interesting bits in between the ads if you can, ADVERTISING.

rshendershot

Post by rshendershot »

bweatherill wrote:One of the things that SD could offer to do, that doesn't involve advertising directly..

All of the MythTV users have an SQL database full of shows we've watched, or plan to watch..
1. Offer an option to upload anonymous data from our databases once a month, offer us a discount or a "wishlist" feature..
Schedules Direct might be the only entity in the world that I might trust for something like this. If Myth did it it would be a competitive advantage that I just wouldn't want to see in their hands as a monopoly. They're great folks one and all, I'm sure, and I do not mean any disrespect. I'd feel the same about any other single-play entity. But SD is a merging of these interests.

Still, I do not want my show selection to be tied to my identity (given the range of ages and interests it would be a confusing mish-mash, but still, in principle, I'm totally against).

But to think SD has the bandwidth to take on Neilsen is overly optimistic. Neilsen is a closed system that has the trust of the politicos, major corps, and Ma&Pa. This upstart group of Open Source zeolots (pirates, all of em, pirates ;) ) with this newfangled gadgetry.... well, there's a huge trust deficit first to overcome.

And how would you separate user by market segment? Like Amazon, I buy a book for my 78 yr old mother and, holly cow!, they want to offer me many many more knitting books (I do not knit, would probably poke my eye out, have no further interest in the subject). Just because someone in the household had an interest, and scheduled, Good Eats doesn't mean we want a new kitchen! (ok, it was me. I like Alton Brown. A Lot! And actually I DO need a new kitchen. but I digress ;) ) Doesn't mean it was watched either.

Now, an open statistical source; that might be useful. Probably not valuable, but useful. Like, the data from SD shows that, in fact, Eureka is scheduled twice as often as Survivor. That might actually help SciFi. But I don't think it would be saleable.

Another big difference is that Neilsen purports to measure everything watched in a household. PVRs, like VCRs, though are generally thought to catch the overflow or special interest, not sitting in the main-room where people are attending in real time. Yes, I know, it's all I watch too as I can no longer stomach the commercials that they somehow interrupt just long enough for a little bit of entertainment. And I grant that Neilsen is last-century viewing habit. My son watches youtube, not the tube.

So there might be some arbitrage there but I don't yet see it. Interesting though!