TMS dropping Data Direct!!! But no reason to panic.

rkulagow
SD Staff

Re: TMS dropping Data Direct!!! But no reason to panic.

Post by rkulagow »

I saw that error in the logs about 2 hours ago and I'm writing code to fix the issue.

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

Just curious what the roadmap for non-beta testing MythTV users should be...

Should we use the hostname redirect trick until such time that MythTV developers have fully integrated the JSON service into mythtv-setup?

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "beta".

At this time, there are two development efforts by Schedules Direct. Unfortunately, we're both named "Robert". I'm "Robert Kulagowski"

The JSON service provides data for countries outside of North America. It provides a differential download; you only download what's changed since your last download. It's got more data than is found in the basic XML download. That's the "RobertK" beta.

The XML service will provide a fairly transparent replacement to the existing XML service which was provided directly from Tribune. Since Tribune will no longer provide that service effective 2014-11-01, Robert Eden has been creating a self-hosted XML service to smooth the transition. (The RobertE beta) That's the one that involves redirecting your client to the Schedules Direct servers using a local /etc/hosts override (we have no guarantee that Tribune will point their DNS at our hosts once their service goes offline).

There's a grabber that's written for MythTV that talks to the JSON service, but it's not integrated into mythtv-setup, so it's a standalone.

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

Okay...I dunno if I was misreading things in the mythtv list. Thought I saw something about setting up the new grabber for cable/OTA USA/Canada lineups, etc.

So if I'm reading you correctly there's a new JSON grabber for outside North America and a new grabber AND a drop-in replacement for inside North America?

So confused when I'm tired. :-)

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I think you're still confused.

SD-JSON service. (RobertK project)
There is a MythTV grabber available now. Setup steps required. It's not looking like it will be officially integrated with MythTV, but a new grabber will be developed in the near future.
This service provides data for many countries.
Has been usable for months.

SD-DD service (RobertE project)
Designed to be a drop-in replacement for the Tribune Data Direct service (TMS-DD)
URL change has already been made in the MythTV daily builds
If you can't use a recent MythTV with the URL change, you can just edit your hosts file.
Only supports US/Canada
Has been usable for days. Still some rough edges
Seems to only have 13 days of data (vs 16 for TMS-DD)
MythTV devs leaning towards using this as a stop-gap until new JSON grabber is ready.

So no final answers, but as the subject says... no reason to panic, as a solution to TMS-DD going away is close.
Your participation in testing both services are welcome to help troubleshoot is welcome.

Robert

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

It was a late night.

When you say the "URL change has already been made in the MythTV daily builds" are you saying that if I'm on 27-fixes I'll have already started using the SD-DD service replacement?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I don't think it's been pushed out yet, but it was committed to git for the next release.

Probably better for the MythTV devs to comment... I'm just speculating based on mailing list comments.

Robert

ImNtReal

Post by ImNtReal »

Sorry, if I've missed someone else answering this. I haven't seen it, yet. I tried using mfdb-json while still keeping my old SD lineup intact. That didn't work for me, so today, I removed both lineups, and started over with just mfdb-json. Everything appears to have worked correctly, until I try to watch TV. It looks like it may not be pulling the channel map correctly. I'm getting this:

2014-10-07 11:06:08.243758 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:1959 (SetupDTVSignalMonitor) - TVRec[1]: No valid DTV info, ATSC maj(0) min(0), MPEG pn(-1)
2014-10-07 11:06:08.243775 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:2013 (SetupSignalMonitor) - TVRec[1]: Failed to setup digital signal monitoring
2014-10-07 11:06:08.243779 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:3847 (TuningFrequency) - TVRec[1]: Failed to setup signal monitor

This is a cable lineup I'm using with a HDHomeRun Prime. I believe I followed all of the steps in the Readme, including the refresh step in sd-utility. Can someone tell me how to get the channel map added to my database? Thanks.

StefanJ

Post by StefanJ »

I just found out about this situation today. glad to see it is being worked on on several fronts.

I'm curious how the stopgap XML service works, in regards to channel lineups.

Is there a website where I'd need to define channel lineups, or will my SD lineups be used to choose which channel information to download?

Thanks,

Stefan

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow »

ImNtReal wrote:Sorry, if I've missed someone else answering this. I haven't seen it, yet. I tried using mfdb-json while still keeping my old SD lineup intact. That didn't work for me, so today, I removed both lineups, and started over with just mfdb-json. Everything appears to have worked correctly, until I try to watch TV. It looks like it may not be pulling the channel map correctly. I'm getting this:

2014-10-07 11:06:08.243758 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:1959 (SetupDTVSignalMonitor) - TVRec[1]: No valid DTV info, ATSC maj(0) min(0), MPEG pn(-1)
2014-10-07 11:06:08.243775 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:2013 (SetupSignalMonitor) - TVRec[1]: Failed to setup digital signal monitoring
2014-10-07 11:06:08.243779 E [18432/18443] TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:3847 (TuningFrequency) - TVRec[1]: Failed to setup signal monitor

This is a cable lineup I'm using with a HDHomeRun Prime. I believe I followed all of the steps in the Readme, including the refresh step in sd-utility. Can someone tell me how to get the channel map added to my database? Thanks.
If you're on API20140530, please run git pull and test again; this should be resolved now.