Schedules Direct has been operating since 2007 to provide a stable environment for non-commercial media applications to receive TV listings data, but that does not mean things never change!
We have been informed that Gracenote (formerly Tribune Media Services) will be ending the guide data service currently used by most users of Schedules Direct. Their plan is to end support for this service on November 1, 2014.
Thankfully there is no need to panic, as Schedules Direct was already hard at work implementing a more modern JSON-based service using newer/better data feeds from TMS. This service offers the following improvements:
- More efficient "differential" transfer method. You only download the data that changes. Mid-day updates are fast and efficient.
- The ability to combine multiple source feeds into one output product.
- Additional data fields, including:
- "season/episode" numbering!
- Images for cast, episodes
- NFL Sunday Ticket Details!!!!
- Completely custom lineups, including "Free to Air” Satellite
- ability to share QAM tuning info
- Additional International Lineups
In addition to the JSON service, a separate service is being developed to mimic the DataDirect feed. It's not ready yet but should be able to provide basic functionality for those legacy applications that can't move to JSON. It is expected to have most, but not all of the data currently in the Data Direct feed and will be updated daily. More details will be available about this later.
We can use this forum thread for the discussion.
President, Schedules Direct
Information on the replacement Data Direct serivce is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591