Sorting data for tuners

dgranth

Sorting data for tuners

Post by dgranth »

Just curious- I have an ATSC tuner and an NTSC tuner in my Mythtv box. Since they can't use each others channel lineups, I have been using separate subscriptions as a work around. I suppose this means that it will cost me twice as much until this is sorted out in Mythtv. Any thoughts?

Bigchris

Re: Sorting data for tuners

Post by Bigchris »

Actually, that's not quite true. I have the same tuner setup as you do and have always had a single subscription, but just supplied two adjacent zip codes, one for the analog stations and the other for the digital stations. But I share your concern and wonder if the new service will support this multiple zip code approach?

This could get really cumbersome if I wanted to add cable or Dish to my OTA setup.

whurlston

Post by whurlston »

This is a concern for me as well. I actually need 3 lineups for all my channels/tuners.

donintn

Post by donintn »

I'm just curious about when these multiple Z2Labs accounts were needed? I presently have 3 lineups on one Zap2ITLabs account for my MythTV server. I have Analog cable lineup for my SD tuners, Digital Cable linueup for my QAM tuners, and OTA lineup for my OTA HD tuners.

whurlston

Post by whurlston »

It was easier for me to separate each lineup into separate accounts. So I could pull the listing I needed for a specific tuner. I would not be opposed to consolidating the lineups if that can be done. The only issue there is (as BigChris said) can it be done with multiple zips?

Das Hammer

Post by Das Hammer »

I think the big question here is if multiple lineups are supported. In my opinion, this is a "must have" feature.
With the combination of ATSC, Free to Air DVB on the big dish, and our 4DTV subscription...I need four lineups just to cover 90% of the channels received.

mik

Post by mik »

I'm in sortof the same boat - I *require* at least two zap2it subscriptions because I need 4 lineups to cover my bases: analog cable, digital SD cable through cable box, OTA ATSC, QAM from cable. That last one is the most annoying, since zap2it never had a listing that covered all the bases: it is most (but not all!) of the OTA digital channels, with a few cable-only channels (in digital form) tossed in - I can find the xmlid for all of them - just not available in any single lineup (so I live without).

A really really nice thing would be to allow selection of a completely synthetic lineup, maybe initially populated from the typical ones... Another nice thing would be to fix mythtv so that myth-side lineups need not be 1-to-1 with schedules-direct lineups - it pains me to know that I'm downloading all the major network SD schedule information 4 times.

BTW - none of the above should be construed as criticism of schedulesdirect - you guys appear on track for saving the day!

smallmj

Post by smallmj »

mik wrote: A really really nice thing would be to allow selection of a completely synthetic lineup, maybe initially populated from the typical ones... Another nice thing would be to fix mythtv so that myth-side lineups need not be 1-to-1 with schedules-direct lineups - it pains me to know that I'm downloading all the major network SD schedule information 4 times.
I agree that this would be a great option. On my cable system there are a couple of unencrypted channels that don't appear on my cable box. I would really like to be able to add these to my lineup.

Mark

dgranth

Post by dgranth »

This is the first time I've heard the multi-zip solution. I'll have to give it that a try.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

LIke Z2L, Schedules Direct will allow 4 lineups per account.

The reason folks went to multiple accounts was because Z2L (and DD as a whole), doesn't allow a lineup to be added twice with different channel layouts. The recommended solution there is to do the filtering locally and not via the lineup editor.

This can be accomplished with a future change to the Myth DD client, or through XMLTV which provides for local filtering. (The issue with XMLTV not providing some details has been fixed).

The neighboring zip is a great idea... I just checked, but unfortunately, it doesn't work. :(

Worst case scenario, is getting multiple (paid) accounts... but I think the XMLTV solution will work. I've posted some tips on how to do it on the Myth-Users list, (heck, it's even in the tv_grab_na_docs) but I think it would be better for someone who knows the Myth setup to post a complete how-to.

Robert