Cutting it close.

countzer0

Cutting it close.

Post by countzer0 »

IMHO most of us that build or own DVR rigs are pretty serious about their TV.
I do not like leaving important things to the last minute.

That being said im sure im not alone in being tired of waiting for our boxes to fail, and have started looking into
other alternative beyond Schedules Direct.

I can assure you once i put the time into getting an alternative up and working i probably wont desire your service anymore.

Heres to hoping we can sign up today.

jmckeown2

Re: Cutting it close.

Post by jmckeown2 »

once i put the time into getting an alternative up and working i probably wont desire your service
Ouch! I think right now I can hear the devs crying over their hurt feelings. -- no wait, its my bathroom faucet dripping again, nevermind.

Seriously though, I think there's been a huge effort to get this done, and everyone involved deserves nothing but Kudos. Still, we're really coming down to the wire here. Standing the service up by 9/1 is probably not sufficient at this point. Is there any chance at getting with the people at TMS/Zap2It and trying to get the users a little buffer time to do the conversion? I understand that they have to cut it off at some point, it's just this rollout isn't going to be instant.

Thanks again.

CptDondo

Post by CptDondo »

Is Zap2it still providing the full 2 weeks? I haven't checked, but it will make a huge difference if we have the full 2 weeks on Sep 1 or if we have empty schedules.

As for the complaint, have you ever tried to pull something like this together? You have lawyers, accountants, and big corporations involved. This sort of thing usually takes *years* and frankly I am amazed that it could be done at all in this timeframe.

--Yan

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

#1. Technically we're ready to go. We've sign up over 300 folks who are reporting no problems. We're waiting on the lawyers.

#2 The last wave of signups included developers of supported apps, who are working on new releases.

#3 It seems many folks should wait for their distribution to be upgraded. Many folks are saying "I signed up, now what?. I don't want to compile my own!" (I"m not saying you're one of those folks)

#4 Z2L will provide data through at least 8/31. You'll be able to get 2 weeks data then, so you'll have data until 9/14.

I don't think we're cutting it close... Not are we technically ready, there is plenty of time.

Robert

wesmoc

Post by wesmoc »

rmeden wrote: #4 Z2L will provide data through at least 8/31. You'll be able to get 2 weeks data then, so you'll have data until 9/14.
[EDIT] An error on my end happened to coincide with the 9/1/07 date which made the above statement appear untrue. However, it does look like we'll have the 14 days after the 1st. :)
Last edited by wesmoc on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Mari

Post by George Mari »

I have guide data from Zap2It on my MythTV system until September 6th. My last mythfilldatabase run was this morning at 12:04AM. I have been keeping an eye on it over the last few days, just to see if data gets populated.

If you're not getting data beyond 9/1, maybe you have some other problem.

wmcvetty

Post by wmcvetty »

Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2007-08-23 20:57 and ended on 2007-08-23 20:58. Successful.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: 2007-08-24 17:26.
There's guide data until 2007-09-06 07:00 (13 days).
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on 08/31/07 05:55:15
You may want to look into that.
Proud user of KnoppMyth since 12/1/2007.

rmeden
SD Board Member

14 days confirmed

Post by rmeden »

Folks, people are already on edge, double-check any thing that will cause fear before posting.

C:\xmltv-0.5.47-win32>xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --config-file=a.dat --days 25 --out=a.xml
The last day download is 2007-09-06 (That's about 14 days)

By default tv_grab_na_dd pulls about 7 days, which is 9/1... maybe that was your mistake?

Robert

hkdl

Post by hkdl »

I think some people are a little ungracious here. They're operating as non-profit here. It would have been very easy for them to say "Oh well zap2it is gone, go back to scraping, it's not our problem." It's close yes, but just try to remember that they're trying to do something good for the community with this, and doing it right takes time.

KipIngram

Post by KipIngram »

What would help me with waiting would be some sort of quantified status. Instead of just saying "We're waiting for lawyers," how about "Here's the current list of things that we're waiting for the lawyers to wrap up." Then we can all cheer as we see that list get shorter and shorter. It's the complete and total uncertainty as to how long we're going to have to wait that's got me anxious.

That said, yes; the SD guys are doing a great job. It is hard to pull something like this together.