Single 2 hour episode vs Two 1 hour episodes

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
AndrewHogan

Single 2 hour episode vs Two 1 hour episodes

Post by AndrewHogan »

Maybe it's just the shows that I watch, but lately every time I run into either of these situations the listings have it wrong.

Example... for the "Chuck" season premier they aired 2 episodes back to back (Dollhouse has been doing this a lot lately)

The official Chuck episode guide on NBC.com lists them like this....

Chuck vs. The Pink Slip --- As the upgraded Intersect, Chuck trains to become a full-fledged spy, but hits rock bottom when he flunks out of spy school and loses Sarah in the process.

Chuck vs. The Three Words --- A mission is put in jeopardy when Chuck finally learns how Sarah feels about him.

My listings from Schedules Direct had a single entry for both episodes...

Chuck Versus the Pink Slip; Chuck Versus the Three Words --- Chuck flunks out of spy school and loses Sarah; Morgan tries to help Chuck get over Sarah; Chuck tries to talk to Sarah about their relationship.

Aside from the descriptions being shortened to uselessness, the real problem is when those episodes go into re-runs my DVR will record them again because they won't match the mashed up subtitle and description.

This is annoying but not nearly as much as the opposite problem, when a show has a 2 hour special and it gets listed as 2 one hour episodes.

My DVR is set to record one Mythbusters episode a week. Every time there is a two hour special I only get to see the first half because it winds up in the listings as two separate episodes.

Please do not combine or split episodes in the listings!!!!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Single 2 hour episode vs Two 1 hour episodes

Post by rmeden »

I suspect Tribune is repeating what the network sends them.

I can see folks complaining both ways, especially if a conflict causes one half not to record, or creates a "gap" between shows.

What do others think is the best way to handle it?

I haven't noticed the MythBuster's issue, but both halves should have still be flagged a "new".

Robert

dcantor

Post by dcantor »

rmeden wrote:I suspect Tribune is repeating what the network sends them.

I can see folks complaining both ways, especially if a conflict causes one half not to record, or creates a "gap" between shows.

What do others think is the best way to handle it?
I think the listings should show separate entities, and the job of coalescing them into a single recording session should be the responsibility of the user's client software. Ideally, that client software would give the user a choice of what to do when it finds two consecutive episodes of the same series on the same channel. Personally, I do that coalescing manually.

stephenxanders

Post by stephenxanders »

Oh I never realized that there is also a CHUCK fun here :-) It will much easier for everybody with the (Two 1 hours episodes) than the single 2 hours episode.. It will make life more easier. :-)