How do I update when a station changes frequencies?

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
ckeil128

How do I update when a station changes frequencies?

Post by ckeil128 »

So, the cluster of channels on 22_x here in Portland apparently moved. I'm still getting listings, but the shows never record. They show up in the recorded shows screen as 0 bytes. I'm using MythTV. I tried going into MythTV and rescanning for channels based on my SD lineup, but it didn't fix it. So what do I do? I'm using an HDHomerun, MythTV, SD and I'm just capturing over the air.

I just don't know the proper procedure for refreshing the channels. And I'm not sure that SD is providing the right listings/frequencies, etc. Is this the HDHomerun, MythTV, SD? Too many variables.

Thanks,

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: How do I update when a station changes frequencies?

Post by rmeden »

Well, it's pretty unlikely that your broadcast channel 22 will change.... I suspect an antenna problem or hardware failure. i think the HD Homerun comes with some software to see what the tuner sees. Maybe someone who has one can post.

Robert

ckeil128

Post by ckeil128 »

I finally found an article about the switch...

http://www.thebeenews.com/news/story.ph ... 4228161500

"on the morning of February 18th, when all but four local stations will change the frequency they use for digital broadcasting. "

I know that's in the future, but I found a different article talking about how channel 22 switched early.

I guess I need to "rescan" for channels. Do I do that in MythTV, HDHomerun or SD somehow? SD isn't showing a lineup change. When I rescanned before I got duplicate channels and erased the old ones, but I'm still not getting my shows. I already rescanned in MythTV and the HDHomerun, but maybe I didn't do it right.

ck

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

The article you mention says KPXG recently discontinued their analog broadcasts, but digital was unaffected. That matches what is in Wikipedia.

Tribune shows KPXG is on digital 22 and that matches Wikipedia.

Scanning a few FCC documents I do see they used to transmit on digital channel 4, but it's not clear when that stopped.

Robert

vabiro

Post by vabiro »

ckeil128 wrote:I guess I need to "rescan" for channels. Do I do that in MythTV, HDHomerun or SD somehow? SD isn't showing a lineup change. When I rescanned before I got duplicate channels and erased the old ones, but I'm still not getting my shows. I already rescanned in MythTV and the HDHomerun, but maybe I didn't do it right.

ck
Hi,

You would do it in mythtv-setup,-> "5. Channel Editor" ->Select the "Video Source" that is appropriate ->select the "Channel Scanner" button-> under "Existing Channel Treatment" select "Delete".

This will rescan and recreate your channels. You then need to run mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

I think that should do the trick, since the HDHR will only pick up ATSC OTA (or QAM for cable)

Hope this is helpful

Victor

StefanJ

Post by StefanJ »

I'm in the same fix.

This has happened in the past. I've had to rescan when Comcast rearranges things.

The scan will find 2_1, 6_1, 8_2, 8_1, etc., but these won't be tied into any listings.

What I do is find the ID of the channel from the appropriate Schedules Direct page, then use the MythTV channel editor to enter the ID into the MythTV listing.

After a myth database update, the HD channels will have the program listings.

By the way, you will find that Comcast Portland now has dozens of new digital channels. I'll start a new subject about that.

ckeil128

Post by ckeil128 »

Hey,

I'm still having trouble with 2 channels. I've let it slide because I only occasionally try to record anything from them and I've been busy. But anyway, the Discovery Channel and ION television always give a 0 Byte recording. I'm getting guide data from them and I see their listings just fine in mythweb. And going directly to the HDHomerun (off my windows computer) I can tune the channels live and watch them. So, I think there just must be something wrong in the channels table of mythconverg, but I have no idea what to change. Is there a way to get the HDHomerun to give me the channel info for the channels it's seeing in a way that mythtv will understand? I believe that this is simply a case of mythtv not telling the HDHomerun to tune the correct channel. Everything else works.

Thanks,