What becomes of Canadian channels in USA zips after Feb.17 ?

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
mlord

What becomes of Canadian channels in USA zips after Feb.17 ?

Post by mlord »

After the USA analog shutdown (Feb.17-18), do we know what will happen with Canadian analog channel listings that are currently available under USA zipcode lineups?

I ask, because I could save some server load by consolidating my Canadian analog channels (currently under a Canadian postal code) into a single (USA) lineup with our digital channels (currently under a USA zipcode).

But if the analog channels might suddenly disappear from the USA zipcodes at some point after Feb.17, then that would be a bad idea for me to do.

And lots of other Canadians probably already do it this way.

???

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: What becomes of Canadian channels in USA zips after Feb.17 ?

Post by rmeden »

it's possible the Canadian analog channels will stay in the lineup after US analog goes away. Well, make that "most" U.S. analog goes away (I think low-power stations stay).

In recent discussions with Tribune, they explained they've been preparing for this for a while. I think they'll get it mostly right, but I wouldn't try your plan until after 2/17. The server's won't mind.

We suggested a work-around for the "<station>" going away before the <lineup to=> date but. (If you don't know what the bug is, don't worry about it). We'll work with Tribune to make sure that bug doesn't bite us.

Of course now there's talk about stuff not shutting down on 2/17.... that can really complicate things for companies like Tribune! (Imagine spending a year preparing for Y2K when in November Congress says it will be 1900 again.)

Robert

mersault

Post by mersault »

Any progress on the greater issue of not having proper Digital OTA listings for Canadian areas? That would of course resolve this issue completely.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

We actually discussed this with Tribune at CES. IIRC the data is not currently available from the place Tribune gets it, but they are working on it. (folks correct me if I'm wrong)

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Tribune has confirmed that the only analog stations removed from broadcast lineups are those that the station confirms is shutting down. Since a Canadian analog station would not confirm the shutdown (they're not shutting down), you'll still see them in your U.S. listings.

mlord

Post by mlord »

rmeden wrote:We actually discussed this with Tribune at CES. IIRC the data is not currently available from the place Tribune gets it, but they are working on it. (folks correct me if I'm wrong)
Well, I guess this is a correction, then. :)

The USA zip codes have full data for Canadian DTV stations, which is why we're forced to use the USA zip's to fill-in our line-ups.

Eg. Here in Ottawa, Ontario Canada, we have CBOT-DT (CBC 4.1 on UHF 25), but no listings data for it in the Canadian lineups from SD. But go to nearby zip 13668 Norwood NY, and lo-and-behold.. there is full information for CBOT-DT.

Ditto for all of the many Toronto DTV stations, where users have to pretend to live in nearby Niagara Falls NY to see data for them.

So they have the data already, they just don't serve it locally.

Cheers

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

mlord wrote:So they have the data already, they just don't serve it locally.
Yup, and one of our Directors even put on a little demo showing them the issue.

Robert