ATSC 5.1 KTLA-DT Listings Issue

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
rosciol

ATSC 5.1 KTLA-DT Listings Issue

Post by rosciol »

I use MythTV to access listings information and populate the database; lately, I have been noticing a strange problem. I do most of my recording on one channel: 5.1, or the local version of CW. I do not think this issue is affecting any other channel. Certainly, most of them are fine, as verifying the problem visually is very easy. A normal day looks just like you would expect:
normal-day.png
However, for reasons I haven't been able to discern yet, occasionally all program data for channel 5.1 will be replaced by three hour blocks of "Regularly Scheduled Programming", like so (scroll down to channel 5.1):
broken-day.png
Has anyone seen this before, or do they know how it occurs? This problem has caused me to miss recordings on many occasions; these days, I have to check the "upcoming recordings" page of my MythTV status constantly so I can try to fix the problem when I find it. Forcing a database update will usually correct the problem:

Code: Select all

mythfilldatabase --refresh-day 1
If I do that for whichever day offset is wrong (usually an entire block will be wrong), then I can get listing information, and scheduled recordings, to appear correct. It is unclear to me how long this lasts, or when the problem occurs.

I checked the recording status on at the end of last week (I'm not sure when, and I don't want to give incorrect information), and it was set up to record the shows as expected (at least one per day). When I looked today, it said that it wasn't going to recording anything until Saturday; the entire week had disappeared for that channel.

Any information on why this occurs or how I can remedy the problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't know whether this is a MythTV problem or a SchedulesDirect problem, but since the listings information is what's changing, I'm starting with SchedulesDirect. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: ATSC 5.1 KTLA-DT Listings Issue

Post by rmeden »

Have you verified that the bad data is coming from SD? I don't know MythTV, but hopefully it keeps (or can be modified) to keep some of the raw schedule files.

I know MythTV *does* support getting guide data via some ATSC service... could that be the "regularly scheduled programming" source that's overwriting the good SD data?

Robert

rosciol

Re: ATSC 5.1 KTLA-DT Listings Issue

Post by rosciol »

rmeden wrote:Have you verified that the bad data is coming from SD? I don't know MythTV, but hopefully it keeps (or can be modified) to keep some of the raw schedule files.

I know MythTV *does* support getting guide data via some ATSC service... could that be the "regularly scheduled programming" source that's overwriting the good SD data?
I have not been able to verify that the bad data is coming from SD yet. As far I know, MythTV does not keep raw schedule files, but I imagine you are right; it probably can be modified to do so. I'll have to poke around in the documentation to see how.

I like your second point; I wasn't aware that MythTV supported that. Unless it's enabled by default, it is not the problem, but ATSC guide data would explain why previously good data is overwritten by bad data. Two data sources makes the problem easier to explain than one data source giving two different answers. I'll check into it.

Thanks for the ideas.