How Long Until Lineup Changes Propagated?

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
LewE

How Long Until Lineup Changes Propagated?

Post by LewE »

Once a lineup change is made by TMS how long does it take until it is visible when I log in and "edit" my lineup?

Are any changes immediately seen by my Schedules Direct account or does Schedules Direct only get these lineups periodically and cache them?

I am trying to resolve lineup errors with my cable provider who is making changes to their lineup.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: How Long Until Lineup Changes Propagated?

Post by rmeden »

The answer to #1 is: Too long.

First, we report the issue to Tribune.

Next, Tribune has to verify what we tell them with the provider. That's why providing a URL may speed things up. Tribune does have internal contacts with various cable companies, but they often seem to get slow and incomplete responses from them.

Then Tribune updates their system. We have noticed that sometimes it takes quite a while for those changes to propagate to the "DataDirect" system we use to fetch data.

Right now, all the data is hosted by Tribune's Data Direct servers, so there's not much we can do to speed it up. We're in the process of building a system to self-host the data, at which time we can make changes like this immediately. I don't expect to see self-host ready for production in less than 6 months. They'll probably be a call for developers to help with the coding.

Robert

LewE

Post by LewE »

rmeden wrote:Then Tribune updates their system. We have noticed that sometimes it takes quite a while for those changes to propagate to the "DataDirect" system we use to fetch data.
This is the portion I was asking about. My cable company is making the lineup changes and supposedly reporting them to TMS.

Can you give me an idea of how long this has taken in the past, maybe even a range of lengths of time. "Quite a while" is kind of vague. Are we talking days... weeks... months?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

The answer is yes.... :)

It has taken days, weeks, and months. :(

Robert

LewE

Post by LewE »

rmeden wrote:The answer is yes.... :)

It has taken days, weeks, and months. :(

Robert
Thanks for the quick response. :)

That's really depressing. :(

That's unreal. How can it take TMS so long to propagate data to their own servers they use to sell data to customers?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

LewE wrote: That's unreal. How can it take TMS so long to propagate data to their own servers they use to sell data to customers?
Tribune is a big company.. Like any big company, things don't always go as planned and sometimes the simple things can take a while...