No descriptions

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
piku

No descriptions

Post by piku »

Hi, Comcast Sellersville, PA non-digital. I am getting a very large amount of repeat episodes of shows that are lacking in descriptions and titles. This causes Mythtv to want to record all of them. Simpsons on fox, Monk on USA, Family guy, robot chicken and futurama on toon to name a couple exhibiting this.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: No descriptions

Post by rmeden »

Why is my MythTV guide data not current?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=581#p3165

piku

Post by piku »

Wrong in this case. I just did refresh-all last night and watched the updates run. The simpsons epsiodes for today have no information associated with them, hence mythtv wants to record them.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Ok.. TMS is sometimes slow to process updates from stations, or the stations may never even provide details.

What does Zap2it.com show?

I have seen cases where Zap2it.com matches us, but TVguide.com (Gemstar) *does* have data... Not much we can do about that at this time. I have spoken to Tribune about it a few months ago.

Robert

piku

Post by piku »

Actually this is interesting. Even tvguide says "local programming" and zap2it matches what I am seeing in MythTv exactly. This definitely isn't an SD specific problem.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

wow.. "local programming"... that's interesting.

I've never understood why networks and stations don't provide timely information and make it easily accessible. That's one of the reason Tribune (and Gemstar)'s jobs are so hard...

Major Tom

Post by Major Tom »

This is getting worse now. I'm getting an avalanche of recordings for stuff I already have because there are no descriptions. Zap2it has data for some of the shows in question as well, so where is the problem?

I'm on Shaw Cable, in Vancouver BC.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

what application are you using and are you doing a refresh-all if you're using MythTV?

Robert

ktreu

Post by ktreu »

I am experiencing the same problems. I am using mythtv, Des Moines local lineups.

Some shows have no description and no original air date. This causes mythtv to record reruns.

The second way this issue is seen is some shows (daytime dramas) have a generic description and an original air date of "2000" (or whatever...). The new show does not get recorded at all because the description and original air date are the same from day to day. Day time dramas seem to run with the generic description until the day before the episode is shown so as not to reveal the contents of the episode.

I have temporarily overridden the duplicate detection so that the episodes will record but this is a new behavior of the schedules direct service that is not correct.

Thanks

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

ktreu wrote: The second way this issue is seen is some shows (daytime dramas) have a generic description and an original air date of "2000" (or whatever...).
That's because the "Original Air Date" for a generic "SH" program-id (not "EP"isode ID) is the start of the series. Your application should probably ignore that date for "SH" programs. (and probably not record them if only new episodes are requested)

Robert