Lineup Issue - Mapping to OTA ATSC

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
quaker

Lineup Issue - Mapping to OTA ATSC

Post by quaker »

Hello!
I just signed up for schedules direct, I'm using the latest SVN of mediaportal running on Windows MCE.

So I've grabbed a full set of valid listings for my cable tuner using the schedules direct plugin for mediaportal. I also have a ATSC OTA HD tuner (Avemedia M780) which picks up about 6 ATSC stations, all very recognizable stations with call letters.

Now my current receivable analog cable channels up go to about channel 60. But I also have these 6 HD channels that get no lineups for shedulesdirect. Now there should be a simple remapping task he for me to do as:
ATSC 53-1 Citytv is really the same lineup as analog cable channel 7 CItytv.

My question is then, how do I map the listings from digital cable channel 519 (Citytv HD) to ATSC 53-1 (Citytv HD). As far as I know schedules direct doesn't recognize OTA ASTC channels, yet it provides listings for all of them, they just point to different channels!

Thanks!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Lineup Issue - Mapping to OTA ATSC

Post by rmeden »

SD can provide over-the-air listings via the local broadcast lineup.

SD is *not* able to provide mapping for the "undocumented" ATSC channels on your cable.

Your local application may be able to do mapping. If we switch to self-hosting, you may be able to do mapping, we just can't do it now.

Robert

quaker

Post by quaker »

I'm confused why Local ATSC transmissions broadcast from the CN tower by their respective stations could by any stretch be called "undocumented". They are in fact documented (listings exist on TVguide and Rogers Guide)and sold commercially as part of HDTV packages as an HD lineup. Also SD over-the-air listings via the local broadcast lineup are actually only Analog OTA listings and consist of only the Analog portion of Local Broadcast Lineup. This terminology should be reflected as SD appears to offer full OTA scheduling as "Local Broadcast Lineup" when than they actually deliver only the Analog Local Broadcast Lineup.

This may be an important purchasing decision for any user planning on using ATSC and looking for a scheduling provider.

Either way I would love to do some local remapping but need to know how my SD mediaportal plugin handles the SD downloads, but I cant find any documentation.

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler »

Huh?
If you have ATSC then you need a lineup for local broadcasts.
If you have cable then you need a linup for that provider.

Did you setup two lineups on SD?

Bob

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

quaker wrote:I'm confused why Local ATSC transmissions broadcast from the CN tower by their respective stations could by any stretch be called "undocumented".
They're not. If you don't get local digital broadcast stations you should submit a lineup discrepancy to report it. I believe there are some known issues with Canadian digital broadcasts. I see both digital and analog stations on "Local Broadcast".

Some folks have found ATSC signals on their local (analog) cable wire, but in non-standard places. Those are the ones we can't remap.

Robert

quaker

Post by quaker »

I think I mis-spoke. What I mean is that my ATSC stations are not showing up with listings, though they have correct station codes (WYNBO etc.) while the rest of my analog cable stations coming in the other tuner have complete EPGs. I've added the Local Antenna Broadcast source from SD, along with the local analog cable listings and will check if this works.

Sorry for the confusion, the terminology used here (coax local analog cable, etc) can lead to some confusion.
Thanks
;)

vabiro

Post by vabiro »

It sounds like you're in Toronto too, and there is a way to do what you need to do in MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org), but I am not too sure about mediaportal.

What you need to do is create a new lineup, or use the Rogers Digital line-up, which includes the HD channels you're receiving OTA.

In Myth, I would create a second listing based on the Rogers Digital listings and then remove all the channels that I am not getting OTA, and then associate that listing with my ATSC receiver (HDHomerun). I then change the channel numbers to something familiar to me (9 for CFTO, 7 for CITY, etc.) and it work's prefectly.

BTW, have you tried hooking your ATSC receiver to your cable service. If it does QAM you might get some stations that way too. I have ExpressVU, so OTA is (currently) my only option.

Cheers
Victor