Are there any plans to ever allow a hybrid lineup?

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
heckheck

Are there any plans to ever allow a hybrid lineup?

Post by heckheck »

What I mean by a hybrid lineup, would be one in which you could have several sources for a given zip code presented together in a single lineup, so that the user could get a better match for situations where none of the lineups alone provide all the channels as the card in the PVR actually tunes them. To be more clear, this situation occurs in cable systems where unencrypted OTA channels are available on the analog cable, and can be tuned using a QAM HD capture card, but they do not conform well to any channel lineup as presented to "Digital Cable" users for that cable company, and the regular "Cable" lineup doesn't have the digital channels at all. I have this issue with my lineups, where the closest lineup match for what my DVB card actually sees is the "antenna" lineup for my zip code. However, this leaves out several channels I would like in that lineup that are in the "Digital Cable" lineup for my zip code. The "Digital Cable" lineup doesn't seem to have a great correlation for the OTA channels the DVB card sees (or at least I haven't found a great correlation yet).

Thanks,

h_h

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Are there any plans to ever allow a hybrid lineup?

Post by rmeden »

technically, we don't have the ability at the moment.

If we get enough volume to serve data ourselves it's a possibility. It shouldn't be too hard to do locally though... maybe manipulating XMLTV files.

Robert

nrf

Post by nrf »

I'd like to be able to do this as a way to circumvent the fact that the 'establishment' works off of official lineups. Unofficially, I get 48-3 on my cable system in qam but that is not in the OTA set for my area, nor even in the digital cable set. it would be great to have a blank slate into which one can stick all of their desired codes.

StefanJ

Post by StefanJ »

This issue is becoming more important as Comcast starts to replace "upper end" analog channels with clear QAM channels.

My digital TV and a channel scan utility using my DVR's capture card can see these replacement digital channels, but the Myth TV channel grid gets confused because neither the digital or analog cable line-ups can quite capture the situation.

After the switchover is complete, my DVR SHOULD be able to pick up:

* Remaining analog channels (it has an analog card)
* Local "broadcast" clear QAM channels that are carried by the cable w/o quite being advertised by Comcast.
* The replacement digital channels, which for the moment are clear QAM.

And maybe, although I doubt it, the HDTV digital channels that will go in the space cleared by the analog channels. I suspect, because Comcast considers HDTV reception as value-added, these will be scrambled.

So, how do I edit my channel line-ups?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

I think you do it manually by putting the XMLID of the station into Myth somewhere. (You can get the XMLID via the "lineup report" on the SD web site)

If a MythTV person doesn't respond with details here, try on their mailing list.

Robert

disafan

Post by disafan »

The issue is when the channel in question is not on the lineup.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Add a lineup that has it. You can have 4 lineups on your SD account. It would make sense when Myth is in a "manual-config" mode to ignore the lineup info and just uses the XMLID.

disafan

Post by disafan »

The issue is that it is one or two channels missing, and I run two DVR boxes in two locations that have this problem. Then you factor in that I run both a cable and a broadcast antenna...

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

You may have to use another account for the second location to get >4 lineups. Depending on what the other location is, you possibly should have been doing that all along. (one "household" per account)

BTW.. what sort of stations are you getting that are not in the official lineup of that provider? Maybe they should be added. I would expect that sort of thing to be rare, yet it happens at both of your locations. Am I wrong that it's rare? Can you elaborate?

Robert

disafan

Post by disafan »

The question is what constitutes a household in this circumstance. It is a summer/weekend home. I would say that constitutes the same household.

But, in both cases, it is channels that are unencrypted on QAM, but not on the official lineup.