Newbie question! How best to set up SD with a VBox DVR in the UK?!

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
Finchy505

Newbie question! How best to set up SD with a VBox DVR in the UK?!

Post by Finchy505 »

Hi all
I've recently bought a VBox 4134 satellite DVR (which has four satellite tuners). I'm in the UK, and I've discovered that the OTA EPG is rubbish; unlike our Freeview EPG which has 7 days listings, the satellite one only has the current and next show, so I'm needing to use something like Schedules Direct to get it picking up a full EPG.

I have signed up for the free trial, but I really can't work out where to go from there! I know I need to have an xml file for the VBox to get the listins from, but I can't work out how best to do it. VBox have a PDF guide on their website, but it seems to be very out of date (https://vboxcomm.com/wp-content/uploads ... ct-EPG.pdf)

Is anybody able to help me get it set up please? The VBox 4134 is an Android TV box and the DVR settings allow me to point it to an xml file on my LAN. I have a QNap NAS that can act as the host for the xml file on a network share, and from what I have been able to work out I need an application that can run periodically (daily?) to update the xml with new listings.

I also can't see anywhere on the Schedule Direct site as to where the data is, ie how do I tell my application where to find the EPG for UK TV?

What application is best (easiest and reliable!) to use and mostly leave alone? I don't really want to use an additional DVR application as the VBox can do all the recording, etc once it has the EPG, and there's a nice addon for Kodi to also use that.

Lost, dazed and confused......!

Thanks

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Newbie question! How best to set up SD with a VBox DVR in the UK?!

Post by rmeden »

Unfortunately, it would be against of terms of service to load data from us on the VBox.

Our license for the data only allows use with pre-approved hobbyist or abandoned products. The copyright holder and our data source (Nielsen/Gracenote) is in the business of selling data to companies like Vbox and obviously doesn't want us to compete with them.

Please respect the terms... it's quite unusual for hobbyist apps to get access to quality data. Previously, some have had a resort to web scraping which is sometimes on questionable legal footing (against site's TOS) and can be a pain to maintain. Our predecessor was shut down partially because of such abuse... don't be a part of ruining it for everyone.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 »

Really? Sorry, I didnt realise. VBox have a guide on how to use Schedules Direct with their devices, and they've said they don't have access to any EPG data themselves, so it doesn't seem that they are buying the data from Gracenote or anyone else.

So if I use an approved DVR application that can produce the EPG xml files, would that be allowed? Otherwise, I can't see how I can get any EPG for the VBox DVR, which kind of makes it useless as a DVR!

So are you saying that the details that VBox have on their site in this PDF are against the terms of service? https://vboxcomm.com/wp-content/uploads ... ct-EPG.pdf

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Yup, there is no way to use VBox with us without violating the TOS.

I agree, their DVR isn't of much use.... obviously, they are too cheap to spend the money on a EPG themselves.

Looks like in 2018, they contacted us and we referred them to Gracenote.

They could get permission from Gracenote to use PercData.com (a SD spinoff requested by Gracenote specifically for this purpose). Perc only has US/Canada though. I'll add them to the "bad boy" list on the SD signup page and drop them a cease and desist email.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 »

Man, that is so frustrating! VBox are pretty misleading with the information on their website, and the guide they have on there for the only other EPG scraper (xmltv) is an outdated and incomplete guide!

Just to check, if I was to use something like TVHeadend or EPG123 (which are listed as authorised applications) to get the EPG data, if the VBox then accessed the data in those apps, would that be against the terms?

I notice that Plex and Emby are listed as bad guys as well! Suprised that they advertise that you can use SD with their applications when you can't!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Finchy505 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:14 am
Just to check, if I was to use something like TVHeadend or EPG123 (which are listed as authorised applications) to get the EPG data, if the VBox then accessed the data in those apps, would that be against the terms?
Yes.. the point of the restriction is to encourage vendors of those products to sign up directly with Gracenote for data.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 »

OK, thanks for clarifying

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 »

Where do I set my timezone? I think I recall entering it when I signed up but I can't find where to check/change it. I'm trying to set up TVHeadend on my NAS to use that as a DVR instead with EPG123 pulling down the EPG, but it's showing the wrong times on everything, everything out by 1 hour.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

We provide data in UTC so timezones are the responsibility of the application or grabber.