What Linux TV Tuner app works best with SD?

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
Mugsy323

What Linux TV Tuner app works best with SD?

Post by Mugsy323 »

I'm a Windows (7) user looking to move to Ubuntu Linux as my primary OS (already installed and used on/off for years.)

Presently, I use SchdDir with "Windows Media Center" (via "EPG123".) If I make the move to Ubuntu (NOT "Mythbuntu"), what is the recommended TV tuner software compatible with S.D.?

TIA

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: What Linux TV Tuner app works best with SD?

Post by rmeden »

lots of folks use MythTV

Mugsy323

Post by Mugsy323 »

rmeden wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 am
lots of folks use MythTV
Thanks, but I guess my saying "not Mythbuntu" wasn't clear. :roll:

I've tried Myth. "LiveTV" is an afterthought for the overly complex package. :(

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden »

Mugsy323 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 am
[Thanks, but I guess my saying "not Mythbuntu" wasn't clear. :roll:
It was clear... it said you're not running the custom distribution of Ubuntu. That doesn't rule out installing native MythTV.

The approved apps page list TVtime and SageTV as running on Linux. I know a lot of folks use SageTV

Mugsy323

Post by Mugsy323 »

Thanks. I can't find the latest distro of SageTV for Ubuntu. :(

I found a few (outdated) links that (supposedly) explain how to install SageTV, but they all start with "how to install Ubuntu from scratch" for 3 pages then offer a script to install the "SageTV Server".

Why does every piece of Linux software think you're trying to start the next Amazon from a laptop??? :evil:

gtb

Post by gtb »

Mugsy323 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 pm
Why does every piece of Linux software think you're trying to start the next Amazon from a laptop??? :evil:
The linux community is extremely bi-model, between those that can write kernel drivers (and don't need no stink'n documentation), and those that are beginners who need the step by step instructions (they are looking more for a slice of bread for their meal than a long term career in a bakery). The few in the middle are stuck having to pick a side i.e. learn to be hardcore users and operate on their own, or follow the tutorials step by step, or choose to do what is really the harder work and contribute to create better documentation for themselves and others. But in practice few end up doing that middle documentation part, leaving the status quo (it is hard to do good documentation, otherwise it would already exist(*)). I would encourage you do consider doing that better documentation for SageTV, as everyone would win, but make no mistake, it is hard work (and not everyone is good at writing good documentation)(**).

In any case, the bi-model user community is why Linux will likely never rule the desktop (even though every year is the year of the Linux desktop based on the someones predictions).

(*) There are a couple of groups that do try to make the docs better for all. The arch community is one I am aware of for the core OS, but every larger application has their own community, and their own method to encourage such enhancements. I do believe the sage tv community has their own forum, and you might search or ask there about the existence of better documentation, or how to contribute.

(**) The problem is not writing down the steps you ended up using (as you say, you can often find those posted somewhere), but distilling those into the essential steps, and the whys, and the hows, and using others to test your docs, and refine them again, wash, rinse, and repeatedly repeat. Installing a piece of software, throwing it all away, and installing again to test, is not something most people do or are willing to do. Instead there is a great tendency for people to stop caring after they got things working for themselves. Only those being paid to do such documentation work tend to be willing to actually continue down the documentation path now and into the future.