Developer discussion for API 20191022

nzsjb

Re: Developer discussion for API 20191022

Post by nzsjb »

And does the map section in the station ID/channel mapping response no longer support DVB channels?

There is no mention of the format for for DVB-S/T/C.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow »

I'll be making updates to the service; the documentation will contain an "errata" page to cover these scenarios, and the main documentation will be updated to reflect reality, so that future developers don't need to bounce around between the documentation and the errata page.
coolmacsoftware
SD Board Member

Post by coolmacsoftware »

Would it be possible to add the lineup name to the lineup metadata? This would be helpful in situations where the
local data store needs to be rebuilt when it is out of sync with the subscribed lineups. Currently the only way to
get the lineup name is from the list of lineups for postal code.

Kevin
Russ

Post by Russ »

*** EDIT: I was using the wrong URL. The API 20191022 beta has a special URL as specified in the API document preface ***

I'm also stuck on just getting a token. From what I can tell, making an identical request to:

https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/token

and

https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20191022/token

Should both return a valid token, but only the 20141201 url is functioning for me. Sending the same request to the 20191022 url gives me a 403 response code and "{'message': 'Missing Authentication Token'}"
Last edited by Russ on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

The program doc is a bit out of sync. It gives example responses containing a titles120 field that has a list of dictionary entries, each with a title key. However, the description gives:

"titles: array containing program titles. Mandatory."
"title120: 120 character description of the program. Mandatory."
Russ

Post by Russ »

Is API 20191022 not ready for testing? I noticed that /20191022/available/transmitters/USA returns an invalid country code status, the only country code I found that worked was GBR. Additionally, /20191022/schedules/md5 and /20191022/schedules returns a 502 {"message": "Internal server error"} for any of the station ID's I've tried in my lineups. Using a stationID outside my lineup gives the expected 'SCHEDULE_NOT_IN_LINEUP'.

In other testing attempting an image request when passing the token as a query parameter gives a 403, {"message":"Missing Authentication Token"}.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow »

I'll take a look at why this is happening.
kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

The /transmitters/ listing is only for the UK where their Freeview network is made up of specific designated transmission sites carrying the MUX's run by the BBC and commercial operators like ITV, Channel 4 and Arqiva, containing the same set of channels for each nation, along with some city specific local mux's containing extra stations. In some areas where you can pickup an additional site or relay, you usually want to only be pointed at the one that has the BBC and ITV region you care about for local news because Freeview tuners will either ignore the other transmission site, or give them all fake numbers in the 800s. The lookup by transmitter option lets them find the lineup for that specific transmission site instead of searching by postal code, especially in the more hilly areas where you might get better reception from a different site or relay than the one they would normally be assigned.

It's not like the USA where most DMAs have multiple sites scattered across the market, and in outer counties it's common to get stations from multiple markets without a conflict since our virtual numbering is mostly based on the station's former analog number.

i.e. in Greater London, most people are getting all of their Freeview channels from Crystal Palace. Compare that to NYC here in the USA, you would be getting stations from 1 World Trade Center, 4 Times Square, Empire State Building, Middle Island, and 2 different sites in New Jersey, and that's just the full power stations, even more when throw in the LP and Class A stations transmitting from various sites in NYC, NJ, LI and the Hudson Valley that don't reach the entire market. If you're out on Long Island, there's a station in the Hamptons along with the cross-sound reception of the stations from Connecticut. That's why zip code based antenna lineups work best for the USA.
skst

Post by skst »

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place for this question. It says this thread is for discussion of the 20191022 API, so it seems right.

Anyway, is the 20191022 API still being developed? Is there a status for when it'll be released? It's already 2021, and there hasn't been any activity in this forum for months. Maybe I'm missing something?
Now: USA-OTA-60005 "Antenna"
Was: USA-IL58819-X "WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital"
MStrecke

Post by MStrecke »

I like to second the request of coolmacsoftware to put the lineup name back into the response of the 'status' API call.

This would make the selection of the correct lineup more easier for the user (e.g. if a lineup has to be deleted).

With the API 20191022 only the lineupID can be displayed. Currently (with the old API) I can display the (more meaningful) lineup name as well.

Mike