Problems connecting to sd-dd servers ( blocking )

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
jimp180

Re: Problems connecting to sd-dd servers ( blocking )

Post by jimp180 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:28 am

My subscription expired on the 23rd, I was not aware of this until yesterday. yesterday I renewed my subscription but am unable to get any guide data, I cannot get to the website using the test url either so I assume my IP is being blocked. I don't know why it would be, I have not attempted to pull listings except yesterday and as far as I know Mythfilldatabase only runs once a day weather it gets data or not. at any rate please unblock me 72.47.68.107, thank you

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 am

If you click the support link you can request an unblock. If you email or post here, you'll need to include the IP address to unblock! :)

If your account is not expired, you should only be blocked for a couple of hours.

(right now, it takes 100 attempts in two hours to be blocked w/o an expired account.. that's quite a lot)

Robert

jimp180

Post by jimp180 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Just got in from work and read your reply, I included my IP in the above post, here it is again: 72.47.68.107, its been more than 24 hours since I renewed my subscription but I am still being blocked. I tried the URL in the first post from another network and can get there ok so obviously I'm being blocked, please fix this.
Thank you

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 pm

doh! how did I miss the IP???

I hope you edited it to add it later! :)

I removed the ban... sorry about the delay.

Robert

mroc65

Post by mroc65 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:34 am

Looks like I've been blocked. Maybe because I let my account expire? I renewed it yesterday but have been unable to download listings. Will you please check? Thanks.

lsymms

Post by lsymms » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:23 am

I suggest blocking be automatically removed when an expired account is renewed. I was under the impression that my old mythtv 0.25 guide was broken because of the new host for sd-dd. I had attempted to upgrade in October but upgrade scripts were not working on my database so I had to start from scratch. In the process of setting it up I had run mythtv-setup multiple times, which initiated multiple calls to sd-dd, which eventually put my IP on the ban list because my membership had lapsed. I renewed my sd membership but was still unable to test much less access the data. Eventually I tunneled remote traffic through my linux box at work and was able to get the sd-dd service working but it seems to me like if you record the username along with the IP ban you could automatically clear the ban when someone renews.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:46 pm

It's on the roadmap... but things have been quite busy.. SD is a side project for everyone.

I expect to have something working in few weeks.

Robert

lsymms

Post by lsymms » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am

rmeden wrote:It's on the roadmap... but things have been quite busy.. SD is a side project for everyone.

I expect to have something working in few weeks.

Robert
Thanks Robert. For the most part I'm really happy with how you've handled this transition.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Yesterday I started moving some code around on the load balancer to prepare for sending the list of blocked hosts back to the SD.ORG webserver. Today I got back to work and noticed that last night I must have stopped fail2ban ( the application monitoring the logs, doing the blocking)!!

So we've been running about 16 hour without any blocking. CPU usage on the (small CPU) load balancer was down about 8% CPU usage on the 2 (big CPU) daytime servers were only up about 8% each! I expected a much higher load. I guess the login caching really works well and the blocking isn't needed *that* much.

I looked at the logs and we sent about 550k expired account messages, up from 55k. ( about 50+ people with expired accounts are sending requests continuously due to a bug in an application they're not even intentionally using any more!)

I do find that annoying, so I restarted fail2ban with different settings.

Expired: 2 day block after 200 expired (402) responses in 2 hours
Bad Password: 1 day block after 200 bad-password (401) responses in 2 hours

I'm thinking that any properly coded application won't get blocked if they expire, so we'll only block the "bad guys" and I don't need to add the code to move the stuff to SD.ORG.

What do you guys think?

milesnorth

Post by milesnorth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Installed tvheadend for the first time yesterday and the channels are working in Kodi. Ran grab script yesterday and this morning and got the following message.

Code: Select all

$ sudo /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --configure

Service description 'http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/tech/tmsdatadirect/schedulesdirect/tvDataDelivery.wsdl' can't be loaded: 500 Can't connect to dd.schedulesdirect.org:80
Using the dd.schedulesdirect.org address in the browser results in a blank web page. Not real computer savvy, I believe my external ip is 64.4.226.254.

Any help is appreciated.