Auto migration from data direct to json

sub

Auto migration from data direct to json

Post by sub » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:43 pm

rkulagow wrote:I had considered a mass migration, but there are users who implemented kludges to their accounts to try to workaround issues with the old XML service. New service, new configuration method.

If you want to hide things from the user, your client already knows which lineups the user has; if you're in the US or Canada, then you can do something like:

If the lineup starts with "000", it's a Canadian satellite or cable.

If it's "PC:" it's over-the-air; if there are 5 digits then it's US. If it's 4 characters, it's Canadian.

Otherwise, it's U.S. Satellite or Cable.

If it's satellite or cable, and there's no ":", then add "-DEFAULT", otherwise, take whatever character appears after the ":" and paste that to the end.

So:
IL57303:X -> USA-IL573093-X
PC:60030 -> USA-OTA-60030
0005995:X -> CAN-0005995-X
CA76345 -> USA-CA76345-DEFAULT

The one wrinkle is Canadian over-the-air; it has to be 6 characters (full Canadian postal code), and at least in MythTV the old system only used "PC:{4 characters}".

Because we don't store channel state on the server, the grabber needs to make sure that it only requests the channels that the user wants. In MythTV, there's a "Visible" field, and the example grabber only pulls schedules for channels that are marked as "visible".

Please continue over in the Developers Corner. Thanks.
If I go down this path, are the station IDs the same in both systems?

The post also mentioned a new service is being built to mimic data direct - will this be available before the real data direct service is taken down, and will it be prepopulated with their users existing lineup info?

sub

Re: Auto migration from data direct to json

Post by sub » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 pm

•You may perform 6 "adds" in a 24 hour period. The status response will indicate the number of lineup changes remaining.
Can this be limit be removed while I'm testing auto migration? or set to some very high number?

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes - please read the "Read this" sticky that I've posted in this forum.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:17 pm

sub wrote:The post also mentioned a new service is being built to mimic data direct - will this be available before the real data direct service is taken down, and will it be prepopulated with their users existing lineup info?
Of course I'd like to have it ready before the old service goes away!

I've actually made quite a bit of progress, it works with my digital cable lineup and tv_grab_na_dd, I started on code for OTA lineups, but I need to test it.

If you want to be an early tester of it, drop me a PM.

RobertE

sub

Post by sub » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:01 am

rmeden wrote:
sub wrote:The post also mentioned a new service is being built to mimic data direct - will this be available before the real data direct service is taken down, and will it be prepopulated with their users existing lineup info?

I've actually made quite a bit of progress, it works with my digital cable lineup and tv_grab_na_dd, I started on code for OTA lineups, but I need to test it.

RobertE
Thanks, but I'm half way through the changes to add json support, so I'm intending to push ahead with that for now. Its good to know you're working on that fall back though. Will it be prepopulated with the user's existing up lineup info?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:24 pm

sub wrote:
rmeden wrote:
sub wrote:Its good to know you're working on that fall back though. Will it be prepopulated with the user's existing up lineup info?
That's the plan... I also hope it will be good enough to ask Tribune to redirect the old URLs, so things will "just work".... well, mostly work :)

GameGod

Post by GameGod » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 am

rmeden wrote:

RobertE
Thanks, Robert.

The notification message said that this old style service would not have the same data as the current feed. Do you know what, if anything, this service would be losing as a part of the transition?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:53 pm

GameGod wrote:The notification message said that this old style service would not have the same data as the current feed. Do you know what, if anything, this service would be losing as a part of the transition?
I know a little.
Right now the "relevance" field of the genre is just a sequential number (basically random).
When I convert to XMLTV and run a diff, I also missing some Genres.

Yes, those are pretty trivial... so, I haven't noticed much yet. I'm mostly covering my bases with that statement. The JSON solution is much cleaner, more efficient, and has better data.

My first tester hasn't been able to connect yet.. turns out he starts with the "Acknowledge" function to get the suggested time and dies if it's not right. I think I fixed it tonight, so waiting for another test.

I also got an ATSC lineup to work today. :)

Robert

GameGod

Post by GameGod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 am

rmeden wrote:
GameGod wrote:The notification message said that this old style service would not have the same data as the current feed. Do you know what, if anything, this service would be losing as a part of the transition?
I know a little.
Right now the "relevance" field of the genre is just a sequential number (basically random).
When I convert to XMLTV and run a diff, I also missing some Genres.

Yes, those are pretty trivial... so, I haven't noticed much yet. I'm mostly covering my bases with that statement. The JSON solution is much cleaner, more efficient, and has better data.

My first tester hasn't been able to connect yet.. turns out he starts with the "Acknowledge" function to get the suggested time and dies if it's not right. I think I fixed it tonight, so waiting for another test.

I also got an ATSC lineup to work today. :)

Robert
Personally, I would really appreciate it if the genres issue could be fixed before the transition, as I use them for categorization, and would hate to lose the extra data.

For the long term, could the JSON feed be used directly to generate the xml? Looking at the API, there are some extra capabilities (like the graphics and recommendations) that would be nice to have. However, that might need the xmltv format to be extended to support those.

If you are in need of more volunteers for testing, please let me know.

Thanks.