Differences between Data Direct and Zap2IT Labs

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.

Re: Differences between Data Direct and Zap2IT Labs

Postby rmeden » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

I have 1.3.7, but I'm not sure if we can publish it as It's not available for public download on their web site.

We'll look into this.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby hdtvincr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:18 pm

neopelago wrote:Also, is the 14-char id already in effect or is it upcoming?

Yes. It is in effect in the SD data....
hdtvincr

Postby cwarren » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:24 am

Do we know when they will actually start using those two new digits, or what drives the use of those two digits? I could just as easily SED them out if I'd never see the impact.
cwarren

Postby neopelago » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:43 am

Since I was not one of the lucky 300, this discussion is just confusing me even further. Is there some place from which I can download a sample SD data file (any place, any time) so I can see just what it looks like and compare it with my Zap2It files?
neopelago

Postby hdtvincr » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:09 pm

neopelago wrote:Since I was not one of the lucky 300, this discussion is just confusing me even further. Is there some place from which I can download a sample SD data file (any place, any time) so I can see just what it looks like and compare it with my Zap2It files?

Not sure what is confusing you, but to sum things up, these are the changes that I know of:

1) The program id goes from 12 to 14 digits, i.e., program="SH000191160000"
2) The "repeat" flag exists no more, i.e., repeat="true"
3) It is replaced with a "new" flag, i.e., new="true"

If there are more Robert, please jump in as I am almost done fixing my code to account for these items....
hdtvincr

Postby TVScheduler » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Series IDs now all start with EP. They had all started with SH. (I may be the only one using it.)

Bob
TVScheduler

Postby rmeden » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Sorry Bob, you're wrong...

Program-id field
MV+10-12 digits for movies
SP+10-12 digits for sports
EP+SERIESID+EPISODEID for a series where episode info is known
SH+SERIESID+0000 for a series where episode info is *not* known.

The SERIESID *used* to be 6 characters... now it's 8.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby neopelago » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:29 am

Perhaps the reason I am more confused by this than others is because I have some different interests. For example, my personal program maintains a list of several thousand movie identifiers for movies I have already seen or never want to see. So, instead of having to plow through a list of 500 movies each week I only have to look at about 50. But every time the movie identifier format changes, this file will have to be reformatted. Anyway, the 12-character movie identifier already has four unused zeros at the end of it. How many trailing zeros will a 13-digit or 14-digit movie identifier have? How will old movie numbers translate into any new format? My program also has a file of program favorites which uses generic program numbers (series number without episode number) to which the same considerations apply. But thanks for everyone's contributions -- every little bit helps.
neopelago

Postby sbtvlist » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:05 am

neopelago wrote:Perhaps the reason I am more confused by this than others is because I have some different interests. For example, my personal program maintains a list of several thousand movie identifiers for movies I have already seen or never want to see. So, instead of having to plow through a list of 500 movies each week I only have to look at about 50. But every time the movie identifier format changes, this file will have to be reformatted. Anyway, the 12-character movie identifier already has four unused zeros at the end of it. How many trailing zeros will a 13-digit or 14-digit movie identifier have? How will old movie numbers translate into any new format? My program also has a file of program favorites which uses generic program numbers (series number without episode number) to which the same considerations apply. But thanks for everyone's contributions -- every little bit helps.

Neo,

My approach to this similar problem is to use XMLTV to download two weeks work of programs. M application parses the data into a SQL database. In that database I have tables for shows I want to see and movies I want to see set up as SQL queries. I use Active Server Pages to display the data in a web browser. I also have the app set up a grid that lists the shows in columns based on the 4 recording devices I use to time shift the shows.

As new shows come on I simply enter them into my shows to see database and the app does the rest. The printed grid is handy to set up the programing in my cable box, PVR and VCR (as last resort). This system has worked well for over 3 years first using my own Yahoo Screen Scrubber. Zap2it's data made it more stable and now that SD is continuing it is my choice to approach viewing in a proactive manner. I only glance through TV Guide to find new show interests, enter them into the database and use my lists to program.

Steve
sbtvlist

Postby rmeden » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:23 am

neopelago wrote:Anyway, the 12-character movie identifier already has four unused zeros at the end of it. How many trailing zeros will a 13-digit or 14-digit movie identifier have? How will old movie numbers translate into any new format? My program also has a file of program favorites which uses generic program numbers (series number without episode number) to which the same considerations apply. But thanks for everyone's contributions -- every little bit helps.

Previously program-id was min=12, max=12.
Now program-id is min=12,max=14

Unlike EP and SH, the digits following the first two characters are not defined. If movies had 4 zeros on the end, that is not a requirement. I would treat the whole program-id as your unique key (including the MV prefix).

I think Series-IDs just have 2 leading zeros now, if you want to convert your old database.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

PreviousNext

Return to Developers Corner