Lineup problem frustration!

Use this forum to report problems with lineups

Lineup problem frustration!

Postby bpmcgee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi,

Has anyone else had issues getting Schedules Direct to solve lineup problems?

I've been trying to get one solved with Robert for almost two months now with no progress. In the past week either he hasn't been getting my emails or he's been ignoring them.

Robert? Have you been getting my emails? This is about trouble ticket #4225.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Brian
bpmcgee

Re: Lineup problem frustration!

Postby rmeden » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 pm

(different Robert here)

Let me start by saying RobertK has a very tough job... once he confirms an issue he has to then work with Tribune to resolve it. Sometimes things are easy, often they're not. We do have access to an internal Tribune reporting system but it leaves quite a bit to be desired.... so RobkertK has to then go back and follow up and the cycles repeats. It's frustrating and often thankless.... ( I don't see your post as attacking RobertK, I just though I'd mention what happens on his side)

Looking at the ticket history I noticed a few times where you didn't catch his replies, dragging things out.

I just pulled the guide data for your zip code. Over the next 14 days, "Masterpiece Classic" is on two times (on two digital stations). Each time it is a "SH*" episode number. That means that the Station is not providing details.

One episode is on today... DataDirect shows generic info, Zap2it.com shows generic info, TitanTV show *specific* info.

So, if you look at "What do do about wrong guide data" in the support forum... this is case 3.

3. TMS's products don't have updates, but competitors do (check tvguide.com)

Not much we can do. There are some known problems with Discovery and TLC that we're trying to resolve. You can submit a lineup report, but frankly, I don't think it would help much. When we switch to a self-hosted service (under development), we can try and get a direct feed from problem stations.

Later in that post I said I would be willing to try and submit a ticket to Tribune in this case and RobertK has... and as predicted, not much came out of it... There's simply nothing we can do.

Looking over the ticket, RobertK's replies may have slowed because he realized there wasn't much he can do to help and he focused on cases where he could help. Personally, I would have have given up much earlier in the process... Opened the ticket and say I tried.

Robert(E)
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby bpmcgee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Robert,

Thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate the polite note explaining what's going on.

Can you give me a little background? How does TMS come to have different data than say TitanTV? Don't they both get the same data download from the channel?

Brian
bpmcgee

Postby rmeden » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 pm

There are two companies that have guide data in the U.S. Tribune and Macrovision/Gemstar/TV Guide.

I believe Titan TV starts with Macrovision data and augments it with some supplemental feeds ( just as we hope to do when we self-host).

It's possible that Macrovision gets better data from the station than Tribune. It's also possible that they simply process it faster... I don't know the root cause of the differences, but I do know they exist. From what I hear, sometimes Tribune is better, sometimes not.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby bpmcgee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Okay. Thanks for the info.

Keep up the good work,

B
bpmcgee

Return to Lineup Issues