XMLTV Data Format

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

XMLTV Data Format

Postby AllenDB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 am

I just added Showtime to my DirecTV lineup. I tried to schedule a program from ST and quickly found out that ST channels are not in the .dat file under the .xmltv folder. Not knowing any better I manually added them. I also get hundreds of warning messages every time I download my sat lineup. Just ignore 'em. Even if I reconfigure they reappear in a few days.

Question, is there a format so I can manually skip a range of channels and/or add/change entries without reconfiguring?

Thanks, Allen
AllenDB

Re: XMLTV Data Format

Postby rmeden » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 am

The first place to edit lineups (especially with big ones) is on the SD web site. We try and group channels by category and you can turn on/off whole categories or sort it numerically and do it there. You can use the standard "click/Shift-click" method to work with ranges. This works with all applications of course, and controls what is downloaded from the server.

As you noted, XMLTV's tv_grab_na_dd also has the ability to remove channels. The channel data is still downloaded, but not converted to XMLTV format. Instead of editing the config file, I recommend you use --configure to build it. Removing channels you know you won't care about from the SD page first will make tv_grab_na_dd run faster whenever you download data.

When new channels are added by Tribune, they are automatically added to your lineup (not something we can change at the moment... #1 request!). tv_grab_na_dd will warn you about the new channel. You can prevent these warnings with the "--auto-config add" or "--auto-config ignore" switches depending on how you want to deal with the new channels. Most people want to ignore them. IIRC the current --configure asks you how you want to deal with new channels and stores the choice in the config file, but I've always used the --auto-config switch. :)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby AllenDB » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for reminding me, got the lineup all cleaned up. I did notice that channel names for Showtime and TMC were "Pay". Probable for all PPV??? I modified Record_This to display the real name, not Pay.
AllenDB

Postby rmeden » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 pm

that's pretty weird... I'd be interested to see the XML for those channel definitions in the XMLTV file (<channel> tag) as well as the raw SD (<station> tag). With tv_grab_na_dd you can save a copy of the raw SD file with the "--dd-data filename" switch.

BTW.. both XML files are viewable with notepad.. they're just text.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby AllenDB » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 am

As soon as you said XML I knew what the problem was. Not weird, dumb! I wrote my own XML scanner and to simplify what the user saw for channel name I picked the shortest <display-name>. Pay only has 3 letters. Problem fixed.
AllenDB

Postby rmeden » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm

The XMLTV DTD says the most common "display-name" should be listed first. An app should use that one for display, the others are useful for searches.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby AllenDB » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks, I'll look at the XML and see how that would work out.
AllenDB

Postby AllenDB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Record_This uses Date, Previously-Shown and Episode-Num to sort out really new shows, reruns and duplicates stuff. Does all this correctly but I understand there is a flag called 'New' in the SD data. In the How Come Department, how come we don't see this in our download or translated downloads? Are there other new flags? I don't know about other Apps but RT won't fail just because I didn't code for all fields, it just skips over them. Or maybe the flags are there but RT doesn't display them. Are they there??

Thanks, Allen
AllenDB

Return to Approved Applications