Daylight Savings Time Issue

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
Guitar4HIm

Daylight Savings Time Issue

Post by Guitar4HIm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:11 pm

All my listings are off by 1 hour today. I've tried to re-download, but no joy. I tried going into the configuration routine and changing the timezone offset to -0500 but, when the download routine runs, it offsets to -0400 instead. What am I doing wrong?
Ken

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Daylight Savings Time Issue

Post by rmeden » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm

You don't mention what application and operating system you're using.

SD/TMS provides data in UTC so it's not effected by DST.

XMLTV/tv_grab_na_dd provides a time offset (which you mention). The output time is calculated and the time offset included in the string, so with a properly written application (which you seem to have) the value of the offset is irrelevant and basically for display purposes only.

For example: "07:00 +0000" and "01:00 -0600" refer to the same point in time.. one is just easier for a human in U.S. Central (standard) time to read.

So, you probably have an application issue, or more likely a OS issue. What is your system time per the OS?

Robert

atsiatsos

Post by atsiatsos » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm

I am using myhd sofware and windows xp prof a very early edition. I have the daylight savings time issue also. How can this be fixed angelos

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 pm

There should be some windows patches that address the new DST rules. If you don't want to apply the patches, just change your timezone one east. (+1 hour)

atsiatsos

Post by atsiatsos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:38 am

It makes no difference what the time is on the computer. The listings are still off by 1 hr . Angelos

Guitar4HIm

Post by Guitar4HIm » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:07 am

I finally managed to get mine to download correctly. Just for information, I'm running Vista Ultimate :| on this laptop. What finally corrrected mine was to run the configuration and set -0400 as the time offset. I'm in the eastern standard time zone and -0400 is correct for DST.
Ken

atsiatsos

Post by atsiatsos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:39 am

Hi Ken,

Where do you find the (configuration and set -0400 as the time offset).I looked everywhere??????? Angelos

Guitar4HIm

Post by Guitar4HIm » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 am

To set the configuration, I have a batch file that I use. Here's the contents....

@echo off
cls
xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --configure
pause

The "pause" in the last line is just so I can watch what's happening without the program ending and vanishing from the screen. Actually, you don't need a batch file to do the configure....just type in the 3rd line at a DOS prompt and in the same directory as your XMLTV.EXE file.
Ken

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 am

If changing the time offset in XMLTV/tv_grab_na_dd fixes it, the application is not written correctly.. it ignores the time offset value given in the XMLTV data in loading the data and assumes it's local time.

It's workable, just you'll always have DST issues because the XMLTV config will need to be changed with each DST change.

It's better for applications to process everything as GMT and convert to local time on display.

Robert

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:07 am

Guitar4HIm wrote:The "pause" in the last line is just so I can watch what's happening without the program ending and vanishing from the screen. Actually, you don't need a batch file to do the configure....just type in the 3rd line at a DOS prompt and in the same directory as your XMLTV.EXE file.
Usually it's better to just start a command prompt and do it interactively and not with a batch file.

start -> run -> cmd.exe
CD to where you need to go
xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --configure

Robert