Help with tv_grab_na_dd config & Daylight Savings

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

Help with tv_grab_na_dd config & Daylight Savings

Postby ghealy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Not sure where to post this question, but hope someone can offer some advise.

We're starting Daylight Saving Time here in Eastern Canada tonight at 2:00 am EST.

Running the above app, I notice that the config file has a Time offset of -0500.

As of tomorrow it should be -0400 until Europe does their Daylight Savings thingie.

Do I need to manually change the value in the config file, or does the program know to do so?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--Gene
ghealy

Re: Help with tv_grab_na_dd config & Daylight Savings

Postby rmeden » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:16 pm

tv_grab_na_dd includes a time *OFFSET*. It does not respond to time*ZONE* or *DST* changes.

tv_grab_na_dd reports the time with offset in the data. For example: 2010-03-13 14:00:00 -0500. The purpose of tv_grab_na_dd's offset is for readability, the application is still expected to convert to whatever the local time is (including DST).

Unfortunately, some app authors are lazy and depend on tv_grab_na_dd's time offset to convert to local time. There is no way to prevent those lazy apps from breaking during DST changes.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby krazman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:10 pm

The short answer is YES.

If using Windows, open that file using Wordpad. Change the offset to the current offset (I think you mentioned -0400). Save and exit.

I always d/l the current listings after making this change.

You will need to make the reverse change in the fall.

bk
krazman

Postby rmeden » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:09 pm

If you say so, but I still think "It depends".

I can set my offset to +0200 and tv_check will still report everything in local time. Heck, it even warns me that DST is coming based on the local clock.

Few things are as cool as a properly implemented program grid... 1:00, 1:30, 3:00, 3:30 and 1:00, 1:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00. :)
The first time I saw one was on my ReplayTV box.. so cool.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby ghealy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Just to add some information in case it helps anyone else in the future.

I used BTVXLMTV to take the XLMTV schedule and integrate it into BeyondTV. It has its own time offset configuration. By indicating that I am NA EST (Time offset -0500) and ticking 'Use Daylight Savings) it managed to set everything to its proper local time for me today without my playing with the XLMTV Config file.

Thanks to both Robert & bk for their help.

--Gene
ghealy

Return to Approved Applications