Pocket TV Browser

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.
brownster

Re: Pocket TV Browser

Post by brownster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:31 am

Rambler wrote:
brownster wrote:It works!!! Thanks Robert, Xris and the SD Gang!!!

steps:

1. go to your SD account and edit your loginname to be something that has only alphanumerica characters.

2. Edit your ptvmanager.ini listingurl= line back to: listingurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data schedule.xml --days $days --output $provider.xml

or copy your old ptvmanager.ini file back.

3. Go to Listing tab in PTVB and set it up. It will say it is looking for zap2it... but the xmltv will actually be looking at SD.

This should do it!

Thanks,
Jim
I assume the .xmltv\TV_GRAB_NA_DD.CONF file will have to be modified back as well?
Yes. Just make sure you go to the Listing tab in PTVB and set your listings for Zap2It, click on the properties tab and enter the right loginname and password for SD. all should work.

I am going to modify my batch file and still use it, as I have gotten used to the automated download and running of TVTweak before PTVB processes the data.

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

Join us at DoubleBit Forums.

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:08 pm

brownster wrote:
Rambler wrote:
brownster wrote:It works!!! Thanks Robert, Xris and the SD Gang!!!

steps:

1. go to your SD account and edit your loginname to be something that has only alphanumerica characters.

2. Edit your ptvmanager.ini listingurl= line back to: listingurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data schedule.xml --days $days --output $provider.xml

or copy your old ptvmanager.ini file back.

3. Go to Listing tab in PTVB and set it up. It will say it is looking for zap2it... but the xmltv will actually be looking at SD.

This should do it!

Thanks,
Jim
I assume the .xmltv\TV_GRAB_NA_DD.CONF file will have to be modified back as well?
Yes. Just make sure you go to the Listing tab in PTVB and set your listings for Zap2It, click on the properties tab and enter the right loginname and password for SD. all should work.

I am going to modify my batch file and still use it, as I have gotten used to the automated download and running of TVTweak before PTVB processes the data.

Jim
Good deal! Should make the process much easier for new folks. Although like you, I also like having TVTweak pre-process the data. I wonder if there might be a way to incorporate the TVTweak processing into the PTVB GUI somehow?

brownster

Post by brownster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm

I wish we could incorporate TVTweak into PTVB... Jeff might be able to do that. But we haven't seen Jeff, the programmer, since January 2007. Until then, we continue to workaround.

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

shrink

Post by shrink » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Hey Jim,
If you're going to keep using your batch file, what are you changing and why?
alan
Alan B.
Ocean New Jersey

brownster

Post by brownster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 pm

shrink wrote:Hey Jim,
If you're going to keep using your batch file, what are you changing and why?
alan
I changed the ptvmanager.ini listingurl= line back to original. I changed the xmltv download output file name om the batch file to match the xml file name that PTVB downloads (which is usually provider#.xml instead of just provider.xml). I started TVTweak manually to browse for the new xml file so that it will tweak the right file.

Reason is so that I can configure xmltv from within PTVB and not command prompt. I still use the batch file for automated download, tweaking and PTVB processing.

All is well in PTVB land :)

Jim
Last edited by brownster on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

ericq

Post by ericq » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

brownster wrote:
ericq wrote:Hello,

Jim, I am new to this and have been trying to put these threads together. It looks like your zip is the solution, however, I think I have a basic problem with registration. I am getting this in PTVB with verbose set on during download:

Downloading XMLTV Zap2it Listings (US, Canada)
Downloading Sep-07,12:00am (336 hours)...
Requesting data from zap2it-dd...
Timezone is -0700
using config filename ./.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf

**WARNING** Password in config file, protect as required

Fetching from DataDirect
dd_data is in schedule.xml
Service description 'http://docs.tms.tribune.com/tech/tmsdat ... /xtvd.wsdl' can't be loaded: 403 Forbidden

...the last line being the kicker. I don't see this URL anywhere in my .ini files, so don't know where to go from here. I'm signed up, paid and active. Thanks for your patience and contribution to this.

Eric
Have you downloaded the latest xmltv.exe file and run the xmltv configure command from a command prompt?

Jim
Jim,

That was the step I missed. Thank you! I do have another issue that is just annoying, but would be nice to fix. When I run the batch file, the echo stops at "Downloaded 3026 programs in 52 seconds" (for example). I wait and it never continues until I end the xmltv.exe process in Window Task Manager. The batch file continues its tasks and ends properly. All is well... except I have to kill the process. Any ideas?

There's actually more to the above if it helps... If I just kill the batch file and run PTVB, I get a hotsync file called "Portland.pdb". If I let the batch continue by killing the xmltv.exe process, I get "Portland.pdb" and "PTVBrowser.pdb". They are identical.

Thanks in advance and for your dedicated tutoring.

Eric

brownster

Post by brownster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 pm

ericq wrote:
brownster wrote:
ericq wrote:Hello,

Jim, I am new to this and have been trying to put these threads together. It looks like your zip is the solution, however, I think I have a basic problem with registration. I am getting this in PTVB with verbose set on during download:

Downloading XMLTV Zap2it Listings (US, Canada)
Downloading Sep-07,12:00am (336 hours)...
Requesting data from zap2it-dd...
Timezone is -0700
using config filename ./.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf

**WARNING** Password in config file, protect as required

Fetching from DataDirect
dd_data is in schedule.xml
Service description 'http://docs.tms.tribune.com/tech/tmsdat ... /xtvd.wsdl' can't be loaded: 403 Forbidden

...the last line being the kicker. I don't see this URL anywhere in my .ini files, so don't know where to go from here. I'm signed up, paid and active. Thanks for your patience and contribution to this.

Eric
Have you downloaded the latest xmltv.exe file and run the xmltv configure command from a command prompt?

Jim
Jim,

That was the step I missed. Thank you! I do have another issue that is just annoying, but would be nice to fix. When I run the batch file, the echo stops at "Downloaded 3026 programs in 52 seconds" (for example). I wait and it never continues until I end the xmltv.exe process in Window Task Manager. The batch file continues its tasks and ends properly. All is well... except I have to kill the process. Any ideas?

There's actually more to the above if it helps... If I just kill the batch file and run PTVB, I get a hotsync file called "Portland.pdb". If I let the batch continue by killing the xmltv.exe process, I get "Portland.pdb" and "PTVBrowser.pdb". They are identical.

Thanks in advance and for your dedicated tutoring.

Eric
You should be seeing a line of "####" going across the screen as the data is loaded and processed. I am not sure why xmltv is dying. I would recommend that you run xmltv from a command prompt and see if you get the same problem.

1. open a command prompt
2. change the directory to your PTVB directory
3. run xmltv with command: xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --days 5 --output provider.xml
4. if it runs check and see that you have the provider.xml file in the PTVB directory.

If that works, then we have a batch file issue. Check your batch file line that runs xmltv and see if it looks like what is above.

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

brownster

Post by brownster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:18 pm

I think I have the steps necessary to set up PTVB so that you can now configure XMLTV from within PTVB and also continue to use your batch file. Many thanks to Xris, Robert and the SD gang for hearing and acting on our request!!!

Steps:

1. Go to your Schedule Direct Account Details - Login to your account and click on Edit Account Details in the right top... it is red

2. Change your Login Name to an alphanumeric name. Probably the one you used with zap2it :)

3. Click on the save button at the bottom of the details page.

5. Go to the PTVB directory/folder and delete all ###.xml files. They are probably large and are provider.xml, provider1.xml, provider2.xml, schedule.xml or xmltv.xml. I will explain why later.

4. Open your ptvmanager.ini file line listingurl= back to read: listingurl=tv_grab_na_dd --share . --dd-data schedule.xml --days $days --output $provider.xml

5. In PTVB go to the Listing tab and click on properties, use the zap2it for service

6. click on next - change your Username and password to match your SD account

7. click on next - you should be able to set up your xmltv now. If not, then we need to look at other settings. Continue the setup process just like you did with zap2it.

8. I recommend that you check the Schedule & Detail Tabs and make sure it has the settings you desire.

9. Go to performance tab and clear cache.

10. Go back to Status tab and click on start download button.

11. You will need to identify the xml file that PTVB created so that you can change your batch file and tvtweak. I did this by opening TVTweak manually (GUI). Browse for the xml file. There should be only one, since you deleted all the others previously. This is the file that PTVB has created. It is probably provider1.xml or another provider#.xml file.

If you want to keep your batch file the main change is the line for the xmltv.

1. Open your batch file to Edit...

2. Change the xmltv line so that the output file matches the file that PTVB created and TVTweak found when browsing. It is probably something like this: xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --days 14 --output provider1.xml

You should now be able to run the batch file to automate the whole process or download from within PTVB. You can now configure XMLTV from with PTVB.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

jamesfedwards

Post by jamesfedwards » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:45 am

Okay - I decided to scrap my attempts at the free listings and go to SD. I can't seem to get it to work. Here's what I did:

- Went to SD and opened an account and made my settings
- Uninstalled and deleted PTVB and reinstalled
- Installed the latest xmltv.exe file into the PTVB program folder
- Opened up PTVB and selected listings tab
- selected add tab
- selected XMLTV Zap2it (Us, Canada) and next
- entered my username and password from SD and selected I have already registered for this service, and clicked on next
- I got a "Open File - Security Warning" box that says "Are you sure you want to run this software; Name: xmltv.exe
- I select run
I get a message box that says "Unable to download information. Check your internet connection. IF problem persists, visit the support section at http://www.doublebit.com"

What did I forget to do in setting this up? Any help for a non-tech person like myself would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:09 am

jamesfedwards wrote:What did I forget to do in setting this up? Any help for a non-tech person like myself would really be appreciated. Thanks!
You still need to modify the .xmltv\TV_GRAB_NA_DD.CONF file with your username and password as well.