XMLTV

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

Re: XMLTV

Postby gmdubois » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:16 pm

The way I currenly have it, mythfilldatabase is going directly to zap2it. I will change it to xmltv, manually with crontab jobs (one to get all the data into a file, one calling mythfilldatabase).

I will likely set this up tonight, or tomorrow night. I will let you know how it goes.

Sorry about any confusion.
gmdubois

Postby mazda01 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:07 pm

when you say change it to xmltv, what does that mean, there is no option for xmltv within the mythtv-setup source? do I leave that to be no grabber? how often should the cron job run? and again, can you please be specific as to every command that should be run? not only the mythfilldatabase but the xmltv syntax as well. thank you.
mazda01

Postby gmdubois » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:35 am

This is not as straightforward as anticipated. I'm running Myth 0.19 on FC3. XMLTV packages are all in, and replacing them with the ones for Schedules Direct might be quite a process.

#yum update xmltv

should be the way to update xmltv, but there are no package readily available for this. The latest for FC3 is 0.45. The plan is to run xmltv to grab the data and store it all in a file.

In mythtvsetup, I will add the "-file <filename>" in the arguments field for mythfilldatabase.

-gmdubois
gmdubois

Postby gmdubois » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:18 am

After years of looking at Linux as the way forward, problems like this make me think that Linux will stay a hobbyist operating system.

I gave the xml file I got from the windows application to mythfilldatabase, and it doubled up the channels. I'm having problems from one end to the other. This is far from painless.

The only people that got this to work seamslessly went with new installs, full upgrades, or they already were on the bleading edge.

-gmdubois
gmdubois

Postby mazda01 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:45 am

gmdubois wrote:After years of looking at Linux as the way forward, problems like this make me think that Linux will stay a hobbyist operating system.

I gave the xml file I got from the windows application to mythfilldatabase, and it doubled up the channels. I'm having problems from one end to the other. This is far from painless.

The only people that got this to work seamslessly went with new installs, full upgrades, or they already were on the bleading edge.

-gmdubois

i got it working using xmltv. you needed to make sure that you used the -1 option with mythtfilldatabase which tells it to replace everything. here's the thread for help:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

I am still wondering what implications are there from me NOT updating my mythconverg database regarding the 14 numbers instead of 12. I don't know because when I look at mythweb and mythtv frontend, everything appears fine. All my previous recording schedules are there, etc etc.
mazda01

Postby gmdubois » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:49 am

mazda01 wrote:i got it working using xmltv. you needed to make sure that you used the -1 option with mythtfilldatabase which tells it to replace everything. here's the thread for help:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

I did use the -1 option, and they're still in the list. mythfilldatabase went on for quite a while.

mazda01 wrote:I am still wondering what implications are there from me NOT updating my mythconverg database regarding the 14 numbers instead of 12. I don't know because when I look at mythweb and mythtv frontend, everything appears fine. All my previous recording schedules are there, etc etc.

This could explain the channels that went from CBMT to CBMT-01-<something else>, and maybe why they show up twice now (it doesn't see them as the same channel)..

-gmdubois
gmdubois

Postby rmeden » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:35 am

gmdubois wrote:After years of looking at Linux as the way forward, problems like this make me think that Linux will stay a hobbyist operating system.

Not to stray off topic, this has nothing to do with Linux.

1. If MythTV ran on windows the same issues would be there.
2. Folks doing this now *CHOOSE* to go the hobbist route. "Users" should wait for the packaged solutions.

OSS solutions make it so you don't have to wait for packaged products. If you choose to be on the bleeding edge, don't blame the razor. Z2L data will dry up for most people around 9/13. there's plenty of time for packaged solutions to be out there.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby gmdubois » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 am

It's all working now. I think I'll get off the Fedora threadmill soon... too many releases, support/packages is too short.

-gmdubois
gmdubois

Postby brownster » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:42 am

Robert,

Where is the best place to go and get a tutorial on XMLTV? I want to learn about the commands that can be used from a command prompt. I specifically trying to find a way to extract what categories are being used in the xml file downloaded from SD. But would love to gain a better understanding of the valid commands.

Thanks,
Jim

Update: Never mind... I found what I was looking for :)

Thanks again for the service!!!
Happy PTVBrowsing!

Certified TaterHead

Join us at DoubleBit Forums.
brownster

Previous

Return to Approved Applications