MyTelly

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

MyTelly

Postby Bobbykewl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Hello,

I have been using MyTelly for a few years with zap2it. Anyone have suggestions on how to make it work with sd?
Looked around and couldn't find any config files that would help. Wondered if it meant recompiling the Java files?
I like this better than freeguide.

Thanks
Bobbykewl

Re: MyTelly

Postby jdonato » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi

There's a new beta at MyTelly web page that works with SD. Just installed it and it's working great. Just downloaded 7 days of programming. (I am using it on MacOS X 10.4.10). Hope this helps.
Luis
jdonato

Postby Bobbykewl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:04 am

Thank you, glad they released an update. I was trying to look in the code for a wayto change to SD. The update works great, I use it on Suse Linux, Panther and Windows.
Bobbykewl

Postby cfcubed » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:14 am

FYI: We also released a minor patch after the initial 1.11 Beta. One nice addition is we now parse the new /New flag & can show firstrun series programs in bold. Also optionally calculate/estimate firstrun based on airdates.

I got involved in the project when I subscribed to digital cable (200 ? channel) & had no sophisticated way to find the "needle in the haystack" programs worth watching. Liked the concise display & added advanced searching, e.g. optionally search by category, first time, within title only or title & description, substring channel ID, etc.. One of my saved searches is category:Movie, blank search text, first time, channel: HD - It displays all HD movies.
cfcubed

HELP! Can't run MyTellyMacLinux :-(

Postby jschall » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:52 pm

I had no trouble installing and running MyTelly 1.2 on Windows XP, but...

On Xubuntu (Wyth JRE 1.6) I cannot run the MyTellyMacLinux script file.

The response is always "No such file or directory", even though the permissions are 777.

What could be wrong?

- Jeff
jschall

Postby cfcubed » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Heh, just happened to bop up here... Was correcting my Cable Vision channels because Premium channels were coming through (& shouldn't).

Don't have a Linux PC around that works anymore... You could post this to the MyTelly SF forum & see if anyone bites.

Perhaps you could post more info, say from the console, that could help. AFAIR, you have to dig in props somewhere to find the console file written, or maybe you can pipe the msgs to a file & post it here.

My Linux is VERY rusty, but it looks like something assumed in the script (e.g. current directory, location of java bin) is not right.

IOW, this bit:

#!/bin/sh
java -Xmx256M -cp .:MyTelly.jar

Assumes the java command can be started as is AND that "-cp .:" means the ClassPath is the current "working" directory. IOW, java must know where the JARs in the classpath (-cp), and the -cp . means this dir (and to look for the JARs here). So maybe that needs attention.

Perhaps downloading & starting a different Java program, that uses the same launch mechanism (e.g. -cp & JARs) could lead somewhere....
cfcubed

Postby Bobb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:47 pm

Anyone know a reason why MyTelly runs once on my XP machine, but I have to wipe out all data and re-install the files every time I want to run it on another day?
I am switching from a Palm T|X where I use pocket TV Browser, and am having to export my TV schedules to a text/html file to use on my new Blackberry.
Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Bobb
Bobb

Postby cfcubed » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Bobb,

I only check these forms maybe once every qtr... Check the MyTelly SF forums probably once/week: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=505614. And I get notice in my email when someone posts there.

Now I enabled notification on this thread:)

I've never heard about the problem you describe. MyTelly was developed on XP & I used it weekly on 2 XP boxes with no problems.

I assume you are booting MyTelly from its MyTelly.bat file with Start in to its directory. And that you have full rights to all the files in the MyTelly install directory (admin on the box).

BTW, Bill made up a nice guide for MyTelly here: http://billpringle.com/wrp/mytelly/index.html

I*think* there is a MyTelly_debug BAT file there & maybe if you run that one when you think the execution is going to "wipe out all data" you could provide some debugging info...

Very curious because I think there may be a fair number of MyTelly users & most of those on XP & not hearing problems on SF. And not much here either.
cfcubed

Postby cfcubed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:57 pm

For anyone interested, a new version of My Telly (1.4) has been posted over at SourceForge that works with the new Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service and has some new features I mentioned wanting to add a LONG time ago:
- double-quoted text in title search = exact match, e.g. "Alien" for precise match vs Alien anywhere in title
- implements new/non-repeat as discussed in notes on "new" vs "repeat" topic in schedulesdirect.org Developers Corner. Meaning it uses the new flag & has the option to consider all Sports new (see notes on "new" vs "repeat")
- added new checkboxes to Advanced Search: HD Only, New Only & CC Only (closed caption) TIP: Use mouse scroll wheel to course up & down through the checkbox options.
- added an EDIT button next to the Advanced Search text field. This lets you edit your ORed titles in row order (like Favorites & Hiddens).

I've tested both the new full install and update only packages (be sure to read the readme) and they work for me & my lineups.

But My Telly has never been (very) tolerant of data problems in the schedule feed stream & it seems one user of the new release may have run into this (... XML import ... null error upon schedule update). I'm awaiting diagnostics output from him, the schedule download fails for a particular day (his 4th schedule day in the future) but not others.
cfcubed

Postby cfcubed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 am

cfcubed wrote:But My Telly has never been (very) tolerant of data problems in the schedule feed stream & it seems one user of the new release may have run into this (... XML import ... null error upon schedule update). I'm awaiting diagnostics output from him, the schedule download fails for a particular day (his 4th schedule day in the future) but not others.

So that problem has been fixed in yesterday's My Telly ver 1.5 update. Encourage any users of My Telly to upgrade to ver 1.5. More info in its SourceForge Readme & Announcement/Blog.

Regarding New/Repeat flagging: In the past repeat / new flagging in schedule feed data seemed quite unreliable, e.g. new shows being flagged as repeats. Now its just appears somewhat unreliable, e.g. repeats flagged as new. Since at least My Telly ver 1.2 its offered the option to "Datecheck" shows flagged as repeats (now called Repeat w/Orig AirDate = AirDate set as FirstRun). This new release has the option to expand to flag as new shows whose Original AirDate is within 1 day of its current/actual AirDate. But these options have less impact for me now that it seems that the feed data flags more shows as New (e.g. perhaps more false-positive News). See also Robert's notes on "new" vs "repeat" topic in schedulesdirect.org Developers Corner.

BTW My Telly core/original code is about a decade old (by way of its original author) & it shows its age, esp. the old style implementation of its grid displays. This is most evident in JRE 1.7+ where its font changed & looks much "thinner", grid scrolling performance also suffers. But fixing that involves a somewhat major overhaul & may not be done anytime soon. Look instead for more simple / convenience updates like proper Windows & Mac OS X installer packaging, and any important bug fixes (as & if time allows).

For my uses at least, current My Telly serves its purpose - easy define & execute of reasonably complex searches, coupled with cumulative "hidden" list, against weekly USA Schedules Direct data pulls to search out the needles in the haystack worth watching:)
cfcubed

Return to Approved Applications