TV-Browser 3.3.3

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

Re: TV-Browser 3.3.3

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 am

rmeden wrote:I'm willing to work with them, but they have to ask for help.

Have you tried going back to the previously working version and trying the host file change?

Robert

Not yet. Didn't read the instructions thoroughly, hoping the .jar plugin was enough. I will go back, read the instructions and try again.
jdonato

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 am

Just to keep a record, hoping it helps others:

When I click to download new listings in TV-Browser, it begins the process. Little Snitch (internet monitoring app) tells me that, indeed, TV-Browser is connected to dd.schedulesdirect.org, shows data downloading.
After a minute, TV-Browser process info changes from "Loading Schedules Direct Data" to "Calculating new entries", but this only works for a second, after which TV-Browser displays the window stating that the new listings are available. Of course, they are not, no changes in the listings. At least it is not overwriting my old data.

Will go back now to the previous working plugin....
jdonato

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am

Here are my latest tests. Not really what I was hoping for.

As already stated, the new plugin from TV-Browser didn't work.

So I went back to the old plugin, and also changed my "hosts" file, as instructed elsewhere in this forum:
My listings "download" now lasted only 35 seconds of loading and going straight to "Your listings are ready", but they were not. It didn't work. I can corroborate that it connected to the new IP-- 54.85.117.227. But the program failed to finish the complete update. Something is not translating from SD to TV-Browser.

So I tried to test my old setup. I kept the old working plugin, but changed the "hosts" files back to its original state. When I tried to download the listings, it failed again. What I discovered is that my new test went straight to the new IP address, 54.85.117.227. So I must have been one of those 50% that are automatically routed by TMS directly to the new address. I think this can shed some light that something seems to be wrong with the way the new data is acquired (or not) by TV-Browser.

Hoping on the randomness of TMS, I tried again, same setup as the last test, nothing changed. This time, my request went straight to "web services.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect...." which I believe is the old server and service. And it worked!! The download and processing took 2.5 minutes for a week's worth of data for a lot of channels. I could follow TV-Browser while it "Loaded" the info, "Read" the info, Calculated the entries and the showed me the "Your listings ready" window. After clicking OK, there was my schedule for next week.

So, in summary, there is something wrong with how the new data is acquired/analyzed or processed with SD and TV-Browser. Hope this info can help.

The TV-Browser jar is open to anyone who wants to investigate this further. But it is a bit out of my domain right now.

This tests were done with both TV-Browser versions 3.4 and 3.4.0.97 RC, with same results. Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), JRE 1.6.
jdonato

Postby rmeden » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 am

Can you capture and send me a Wireshark trace during the failed download? (admin@sd)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:06 pm

rmeden wrote:Can you capture and send me a Wireshark trace during the failed download? (admin@sd)

Robert

I've never used that. Just downloaded it. Will learn to use it and hopefully can send you the trace...
jdonato

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:21 pm

rmeden wrote:Can you capture and send me a Wireshark trace during the failed download? (admin@sd)

Robert

Will a PCAP file that can be open with Wireshark be the same, or of any help?
Little Snitch can do that, and I would not need to install X11 and Wireshark, etc....

More info:
http://www.chrisle.me/2012/11/little-sn ... k-sniffer/
jdonato

Postby rmeden » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 pm

jdonato wrote:Will a PCAP file that can be open with Wireshark be the same, or of any help?
Little Snitch can do that, and I would not need to install X11 and Wireshark, etc....

Yes, that will work.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby jdonato » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:43 pm

rmeden wrote:
jdonato wrote:Will a PCAP file that can be open with Wireshark be the same, or of any help?

Yes, that will work.

Great
jdonato

Postby weamish » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

jdonato wrote:Are you confident they will work things with you? Seems we (SD users) are somehow a small percentage of their users.

True - here's what they told me:

Most of our users access data through the EPGfree plugin, but that doesn't work in North America, where SchedulesDirect is the only available data source. Of the millions of TV-Browser users, only about 50 are in North America, so we can't afford to make investments in SD. But we will gladly accept any updates that someone else develops. That was the idea behind the plugin interface, so we don't have to do everything ourselves.
weamish

Postby rmeden » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 pm

I tried to look at the code and couldn't really find all the pieces.

So far, TV-Browser appears to be the only application not working with the new service. Hopefully someone with more Java skill than me (which is just about anyone with Java skills!) can figure it out.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

PreviousNext

Return to Approved Applications